A healthy digestive system is one of the most important things required to lead a healthy and happy life, we all probably know that. But what do we mean by a healthy digestive system? It essentially means the food that you eat is properly digested and the nutrients are absorbed by the body. A digestive system functioning at its optimum level has numerous benefits which can greatly improve the quality of both, your personal and professional life. Let’s see how…
- Increased mental awareness is one of the top benefits that you can reap from a healthy digestive system.
- Improved concentration is yet another positive effect of having a diet that’s healthy and an equally efficient digestive system.
- High energy level is the top benefit of healthy eating and a well-functioning digestive system, because it indicates that the body gets all the required nutrients.
- It also improves stamina so that one doesn’t experience fatigue or exhaustion each day.
- Another benefit that follows healthy diet and digestive system is the reduction in mood disorder episodes.
- It also helps in improving immunity which, in turn, helps ward off diseases.
Some people have a naturally healthy digestive system and a very good metabolism which helps them to stay healthy. However, majority of the people have to work hard to develop good metabolism and a healthy digestive system. Here are some key pointers which can help you improve the efficiency of your digestive system.
- Consume raw fiber (Examples – Avocados, Apples, Carrots, Beets, Broccoli, Lentils, Whole Grains etc.)
- Consume raw fruits and vegetables
- Consume 8-10% of your body weight in water each day
- Consume protein rich foods like meats, dairy products, pulses, and beans
- Cut down on saturated fats and concentrated sugars
- Eat small portions across the day
- Exert yourself physically for at least 30 minutes every day
- Reduce the level of stress, as stress can lead to spasm in your large intestine which can result in pain and hard stools.
- Never resist the urge to use the washroom, more so if you suffer from constipation.
These are simple things to take care of, so that you have regular and healthy bowel movements and a sound digestive system. Because, it’s important. The Chinese Philosopher, Lin Yutang was right when he said, “Happiness for me is largely a matter of digestion.”