- 1 Why Blood Glucose Levels Rise in Diabetes?
- 2 Normal Blood Glucose Levels in Healthy Individuals
- 3 Blood Sugar Level Charts for People with Diabetes (Age Wise)
- 4 Normal blood Sugar Levels in Children & Teens Who are Diabetic
- 5 Normal Blood Sugar Levels Chart for Diabetic Adults Age Wise
- 6 High and Low Blood Sugar Levels in Diabetes
- 7 Low Blood Sugar Levels Symptoms and Remedies
- 8 High Blood Sugar Levels Symptoms and Remedies
- 9 Bottom Line
- 10 FAQs:
- 10.0.1 What is the normal blood sugar level for 5 year old child?
- 10.0.2 Is150 a high blood sugar level?
- 10.0.3 What is the highest blood sugar level that is safe?
- 10.0.4 What should blood sugar be at bedtime?
- 10.0.5 What is a normal sugar level for a man?
- 10.0.6 Is 139 high for blood sugar?
- 10.0.7 what level of blood sugar is dangerous?
- 10.0.8 When in the day is blood sugar level high?
- 10.0.9 For a diabetic patient, what are the three medical emergencies?
- 10.0.10 What is an unsafe blood level in the A1C test?
- 11 References:
Our body maintains a level of blood glucose for body metabolism. The normal blood glucose levels in a healthy body are between 90 to 100 mg/dL. But sometimes, these blood glucose levels may go high or low. Such high or low blood glucose levels are signs of health conditions requiring medical attention. This article gives in-depth information about normal blood sugar levels chart for adults (men or women) with diabetes according to age.
Why Blood Glucose Levels Rise in Diabetes?
The food we eat is converted to glucose and released into the bloodstream. Therefore, blood glucose levels (blood sugar levels) are high after eating. As does the glucose generates, the body signals the pancreas to release insulin.
Insulin helps in the absorption of blood glucose by the body cells. As a result, the glucose from the blood is absorbed, and its level in the blood becomes normal again. Thus, together insulin and cell absorption helps in regulating blood glucose levels.
But in the case of diabetes, the body becomes insulin resistant, or there is insulin deficiency. Due to which the cell absorption of the blood glucose decreases. As a result, high blood glucose levels cause Diabetes. Over time, such high blood glucose levels can cause damage to nerves, kidneys, eyes, and heart.
Therefore if you have diabetes, it is essential to keep your blood glucose levels to some typical acceptable values. To help you understand blood glucose levels, a blood sugar level chart is the best option.
Blood glucose levels, if high, cause diabetes. Blood sugar level charts can help in regular monitoring of blood glucose levels.
Normal Blood Glucose Levels in Healthy Individuals
Blood glucose levels, also known as blood sugar levels, can be normal, high, or low. The blood sugar levels are generally measured after 8 hours of eating.
A normal blood sugar range for a healthy adult (male or female) after 8 hours of fasting is >70 mg/dL. and < 100 mg/dL.
While a normal blood sugar level in a healthy person after 2 hours of eating is between 90 to 100 mg/dL.
Blood glucose levels change throughout the day. The major factors for such change in the blood glucose levels are as follows:
- The type of food can impact blood sugar levels. For example, if you eat rich carb food, high-calorie food, the blood sugar levels may be high.
- The quantity of food. A high amount of food may increase blood sugar levels.
- Physical activities impact blood sugar levels. For example, heavy and rigorous work may decrease blood sugar levels, whereas no or less physical activity may increase blood sugar levels.
- Certain medicines change blood sugar levels.
- Medical conditions like hypoglycemia, diabetes, liver disease may cause changes in blood sugar levels.
- Alcohol consumption.
- Age and stress
- Dehydration. It can cause low blood glucose levels.
A normal blood sugar level for a healthy adult is between 90 to 110 mg/dL.
Blood Sugar Level Charts for People with Diabetes (Age Wise)
Diabetes is a condition when blood sugar levels are high. But sometimes, the blood sugar levels may fall below the normal level. Thus, for diabetic patients, the blood sugar levels shall vary in a day and with age. Below is the detailed sugar level chart age wise for diabetic patients.
Normal blood Sugar Levels in Children & Teens Who are Diabetic
Blood Sugar Levels of Children with Diabetes:
- To correctly manage diabetes, children at the age of 6 should have blood glucose levels of 80 to 200 mg/dL in a day. It is the healthy range.
- The glucose levels in children vary from when they get up from sleep to the time they have taken their meals. Thus, regular monitoring of their blood sugar levels is essential.
- Especially if your child has complaints of hypoglycemia blood sugar test in the middle of the night is essential.
- For kids aged 6 to 12, the healthy range in diabetes is between 80 to180 mg/dL. However, at this age, it is found that blood glucose levels increase after meals. Therefore, it is essential to limit their snack intake before sleep to ensure healthy blood sugar levels at bedtime.
- For diabetic teens, the healthy blood sugar level is between 70 mg/dL to 150 mg/dL. The critical challenge in managing healthy blood sugar levels in teens is their stress, mood swing, and lifestyle issues.
- Alarming blood sugar levels in children that require medical attention are < 70 mg/dL and > 180 mg/dL.
In diabetic children, the healthy blood sugar levels are between 70 to 180 mg/dL.
Normal Blood Sugar Levels Chart for Diabetic Adults Age Wise
Healthy blood sugar levels in diabetic adults age wise:
- In diabetic patients above 20 years of age, a random blood sugar level remains between 100 to 180 mg/dL throughout the day.
- Fasting glucose levels should be between 70 to 100 mg/dL to avoid diabetic complications.
- At bedtime blood, sugar levels should be between 100 to140 mg/dL to avoid any diabetic complications.
- Woman normal blood sugar levels chart indicates the normal blood sugar levels should be between 100 to 140 mg/dL at bedtime. It should be >70 and <100mg/dL after fasting.
- In diabetic pregnant women, the blood sugar levels should be a little tighter, between 70 to 89 mg/dL after fasting. They should regularly monitor the blood sugar levels to avoid delivery-related complications.
Diabetic adults should maintain a blood sugar level of 70 to130 mg/dL before meals and less than 180 mg/dL after 2 hours of meals. Pregnant women should maintain blood sugar levels of 95-140 mg/dL to avoid complications.
High and Low Blood Sugar Levels in Diabetes
The chart below gives details on the danger values of blood sugar levels for diabetic patients. Red levels are indicators that require emergency treatment, while yellow levels indicate medical attention but not an emergency.
High Blood Sugar Levels Range
- Blood sugar levels above 250mg/dL are considered very high. Therefore, it requires immediate medical treatment. In addition, it is recommended to have a ketones test done.
- Blood sugar levels between 180 to250 mg/dL are considered high. Therefore, it may require insulin therapy and proper medication to control the high level.
Low Blood Sugar Levels Range
- When the blood sugar levels are between 71 to 90mg/dL in adults, it indicates mild low sugar levels. Therefore, a proper diet intake like 15gm of raisins could help in raising the blood sugar levels.
- When the blood sugar levels are below 70 and fall below 50mg/dL, it is a low critical situation. However, it requires emergency treatment for hypoglycemia.
High blood sugar range is between 180 to 250 mg/dL, while below 70 mg/dl is low. Above 250 mg/dL and under 50 mg/dL requires medical emergency treatment.
Low Blood Sugar Levels Symptoms and Remedies
Low blood sugar condition or Hypoglycaemia occurs when the blood glucose levels fall below 70 mg/DL.
The reasons for common blood sugar condition may be due to the following:
- Medicine effects
- Not eating food properly
- Endocrine disorders
- Liver or heart diseases
- Alcohol consumption
Low sugar levels, when left untreated, can be dangerous. If the levels are belw50 mg/dL, it is critical and requires immediate medical treatment. Some of the common symptoms of low sugar condition are:
- Feeling dizzy and having confusion
- Experiencing shakiness in body or hand or limbs
- Nervousness and irritative behaviour
- Anxious and stress
- Chills and sweating
- Fast heart rates
If you experience any of the low sugar symptoms, immediately test your blood glucose levels. For levels between 60 to 80 mg/dL, consume 15 grams of fast-acting carbs. Repeat the test after 15 minutes and eat till sugar levels settle to normal.
But if the levels are below 50 mg/dL and if the patient is conscious and able to eat, give 15 gm. of fast-acting carbs. But if the patient is unable to speak, don’t give anything to eat. Call emergency services immediately. If possible, administer glucagon via injection.
High Blood Sugar Levels Symptoms and Remedies
When blood sugar levels are high above the normal > 180mg/dL, it can be again dangerous and requires medical attention. This condition, also known as hyperglycemia, occurs when the body has insulin deficiency or cannot use it properly.
Some of the common symptoms of high blood sugar levels are:
- Experiencing fatigue
- Unusual thirst
- Frequent urination
- Headache and difficulty while concentrating
- Blurred vision
- Unusual weight loss
If left untreated, hyperglycemia can lead to diabetic ketoacidosis, which is a life-threatening disease. Moreover, it can also cause heart complications, kidney-related problems, and liver disorders.
If the blood levels are between 180 to250 mg/dL, seek medical advice and take medicines. Cut of fast-acting carb diet. Don’t take processed food and sugary items.
If the blood sugar levels are > 250 mg/dL, you need immediate medical services. If left untreated, it can lead to coma and high ketones in the blood. So test for ketones and get insulin therapy as soon as possible.
If you complain of regular high blood sugar levels, you are advised to do the following:
- Maintain a low sugar food diet with a low glycaemic index.
- Don’t eat processed foods and fruit juices.
- Do mild exercises and have a proper lifestyle change
- Consult healthcare experts to get appropriate insulin dosages
- Take medicines on time
- Regularly monitor the glucose levels
Blood sugar levels can go high or low, depending on your medical condition. The blood sugar charts are the easiest way to learn about these levels. But get professional advice from an endocrinologist about your blood sugar levels and the reasons for their variations.
If you have diabetes, remember to monitor your blood sugar levels and keep them to normal levels. In this way, you can avoid the complications of diabetes and lead an everyday life.
Also Read: How to Use Glucometer?
What is the normal blood sugar level for 5 year old child?
The blood glucose levels for a kid of 5 years should be within the range of 80 to 200 mg/dL throughout the day. Fasting levels should be between 80 to 180 mg/dL, bedtime levels should be within 110 to 200 mg/dL.
Is150 a high blood sugar level?
If your blood glucose levels are 150 mg/dL after 1 to 2 hours after eating then it is normal. But if the blood glucose levels are 150 mg/dL before meals then the levels are slighlty high. In such case try to drink plenty of water and eat foods that have low glycemic index values like non-starchy vegetables, Beans, Cuccumber, strawberries, black berries etc.
What is the highest blood sugar level that is safe?
For a diabetic individual blood sugar levels between 160 to 240mg/dl is highest sugar levels that is safe.
Normal blood sugar level for any individual before meals is between 80 to130 mg/dL. After 1-2 hours of meal it should be less than 180 mg/dL.
What should blood sugar be at bedtime?
For a non-diabetic adult the bedtime sugar levels should be between 100 to 140 mg/dL. For diabetic patients the normal blood sugar levles at bedtime should be between 90 to 150 mg/dL.
What is a normal sugar level for a man?
Normal blood sugar levles for a man without diabetes should be between 90 to 110 mg/dL. Normal blood sugar levles for a man with diabetes should be between 80 to 130mg/dL before meals.
Is 139 high for blood sugar?
If your blood sugar levles are 139 mg/dL before meals, they are slightly high. Drinking plenty of water and a very mild excercise can help in reducing it. Eat low sugar and low glycemic index diet. But if your sugar levels are 139 mg/dL after 1 to 2 hours of meals or at bedtime, then it is normal.
what level of blood sugar is dangerous?
Generally sugar levels above 250 mg/dL are regarded as very high. But bllod sugar levles above 300 mg/dL can be dangerous. If consecutive two readings show your blood sugar levels above 300 mg/dL consult doctor immediately.
When in the day is blood sugar level high?
Fasting blood sugars are high. In the morning, blood sugar levels are high since the blood levels are calculated after a night sleep, i.e. after a night fast. Then the sugar levels are high after you eat something.
For a diabetic patient, what are the three medical emergencies?
The three diabetic emergencies are:
- When the blood sugar levels are <60mg/dL, i.e. Hypoglycemia Hyperglycemia
- when blood sugar levels are >200 mg/dL
- When ketones are very high.
What is an unsafe blood level in the A1C test?
If the value of the A1C test is 5.7%, it is normal. If the value is between 5.7 to 6.4%, it is a prediabetic condition.
Levels between 6 to 6.8% are a sign of controlled diabetes.
But if the levels are > 7%, it is unsafe and a sign of uncontrolled diabetes .
- Diabetes Tests. Retrieved from: https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/basics/getting-tested.html