- 1 What is Glucometer
- 2 Using glucometer at Home
- 3 Best Glucometer machine in India
- 3.1 One Touch Select Plus Simple glucometer:
- 3.2 Accu Chek Glucometer:
- 3.3 Dr. Morepen BG-03 Gluco One Glucometer
- 3.4 Dr. Trust Glucometer:
- 3.5 AccuSure simple Glucometer
- 3.6 Beato Smartphone Glucometer
- 3.7 AccuSure Gold Blood glucose monitoring device
- 3.8 Contour Plus Blood glucose monitoring system:
- 3.9 One Touch Select Verio Flex Glucometer
- 3.10 Truworth G-30 Glucometer
- 4 General guidelines
- 5 FAQ’s:
The key to properly managing diabetes is to regularly monitor blood glucose levels. Regular monitoring of glucose levels after meals, after exercises, or workouts helps to determine the impact of diet or workout on blood glucose levels. This helps in proper diet planning and workout planning.
Technology integration into health care has resulted in numerous innovative products that improvise patient care. One such innovation is Glucometer.
What is Glucometer
Glucometer is the word that comes from two words glucose and meter. It is a small portable digital device that measures blood glucose levels. A glucometer is also known as a blood sugar check machine. It is a handy device that is easy to operate and thus assists diabetic patients in knowing their current blood sugar levels.
Let’s look at the parts of a glucometer and how they work as a blood glucose monitoring system.
The entire unit of the glucometer comes with a glucometer machine, glucometer lancets (needles), and strips.
- Glucometer reading device: This is the digital interface that displays values of measured blood sugar in mg/dL.
- Glucometer lancets: For measuring blood glucose levels, a blood sample is drawn by pricking fingers with the help of lancets. These lancets are comprised of 2 parts. The pricking needle is a lancet. While the other part is used to hold the needle into it. It is known as a lancet holder. Dispose of the lancet safely after its use and do not use it again.
- Glucometer test strips: For measuring blood glucose levels the test strips are coated with enzyme on it. For testing the blood drop is placed on one side of the strip. The blood glucose starts to react with the enzyme on the strip. This reaction causes the release of gluconic acid. The other end of the strip is inserted into the glucometer. The reaction of glucose with blood causes an oxidation reaction that results in the transfer of electrons, resulting in the generation of electrical current. This value is the blood glucose level present in the blood and the glucometer reading device displays it digitally.
Glucometer kit comprises of glucometer digital device, strips, and lancet. It measures blood glucose levels.
Glucometer testing importance
- Testing blood glucose level is the only way to confirm the level of blood sugar or glucose at any given time.
- Regular testing can allow the detecting of high and low levels and their causes.
- Testing regularly will help to determine how well the affected person is managing diabetes by combining insulin therapy, meal preparation, and exercise.
- Regular testing also reduces the risk of complications from diabetes as it helps in efficient diabetes management.
- A Doctor will be able to use the readings from these assessments to make changes to the overall treatment plan.
Using glucometer at Home
- Switch on the measuring device
- Connect the strip by inserting it into the glucometer port
- Blood sampling: Take out a fresh glucometer lancet and prick your finger with care.
- Take out the test strip and place the blood sample at one end.
- Note your readings.
The glucometer gives results within 10 minutes of blood collection. New generation glucose testing monitors have additional features such as wireless connectivity, memory, and advanced data processing tools for monitoring glucose concentration for longer periods, besides, to accurately representing sugar levels in digital form.
It is essential to learn the techniques and tips of using glucose monitoring devices from the trained nurse/practitioner. This shall help in understanding the device readings and used them properly.
Best Glucometer machine in India
There are numerous glucometer devices in the market. The obvious question that comes to mind is which is the best glucometer in India? What are the key features of the best glucometer machine? Let’s examine the best glucometer devices available in the market. The devices are ranked as per the ease of use of the device and its accuracy in measuring sugar levels.
One Touch Select Plus Simple glucometer:
If you are searching for a simple to use machine that gives fast and accurate results, OneTouch Select Plus Simple glucometer is the best option to buy. As is the name OneTouch, it requires you to only switch on the device and get results. It is also known in the market with name as ColourSure One Touch Select Plus Simple Blood Glucose Monitoring System.
- The device has 10 lancets and 10 strips with it.
- It requires only 0.5 microliters of blood.
- The result of blood sugar appears within 5 seconds.
- It can keep 10 previous test records in its memory.
- It has an LED display and has an audio alert mechanism.
- Requires no coding or setup mechanism before using,
- Operable through the battery.
- A small and portable machine.
- It is easy to use this device.
- The minimum and maximum measuring limits of the device are set. These limits cannot be changed.
- Key point: It is the best glucometer in terms of accuracy. It gives next to accurate results as lab results.
Disadvantages: The strips are very costly.
Accu Chek Glucometer:
In case you want to use a simple device that can give readings for the previous 3 months then the Accu Chek glucometer should be your choice. It can mark readings for the past 7, 14, 30, and 90 days.
- Small handy device
- Capable of storing 500 previous results.
- It has an LCD.
- Accu Check has 2 buttons and thus is simple to operate.
- Has Micro USB built a port for transferring result data to a laptop or personal computer.
- It can hold data for 90 days and thus can give a complete glucose profile for 3 months.
- The Accu chek glucometer comes with 10 strips and 10 lancets. The sugar test kit comes with a softclix lancing that is used for the first test since your first purchase.
- It requires 1-2 microliter of the blood sample. If the blood sample is less in quantity an alert beep sound comes from the machine.
- If by mistake you place an expired test strip, the machine gives an alert beep sound.
Challenge: Expensive and cannot be recharged.
Dr. Morepen BG-03 Gluco One Glucometer
Dr. Morepen glucometer makes use of biosensor technology for measuring sugar levels. This is one of the best glucometers available in India. The device is economical as it comes with 25 Dr. Morepen glucometer test strips and 10 lancets.
- Based on biosensor technology
- Has a larger display with date and time function to help you note the readings according to with date.
- Needs 0.5 microliters of blood for sample testing.
- Gives result within 5 seconds.
- Can store nearly 300 previous tests results
- Uses audio beep sounds for alerts like less blood amount, used strips, etc.
- Lifetime warranty from the company
- Gives average result of 7, 14, and 31 days.
- Cheaper device
Dr. Trust Glucometer:
Dr. Trust glucometer uses the advanced technology of GDH and FAD technology that does not consider blood oxygen interference. It is the blood oxygen interferences that cause wrong results in glucometers. Thus, Dr. Trust’s glucometer eliminates this challenge with its new enzyme-based technology. It is a fully automatic device and a very effective device. It tells about ketones levels along with blood sugar levels.
- It has 3 modes of operations.
- General mode for blood sugar checkup at any time of the day.
- PC mode measures blood glucose levels after meals
- AC mode measures blood glucose levels in an empty stomach generally after fasting
- Uses smiley to depict result. If the results are good the smiley is of a happy face else of a sad face.
- The machine automatically shuts down after 3 minutes without any usage.
- You can check blood sugar levels by drawing blood from other parts of the body
- Larger memory and stores 1000 previous results with proper date and time of tests
- Gives the function of setting an alarm for a reminder of sugar level tests after meals or before meals or at your desired time.
- gives details on levels or change of levels of Ketones as high ketones or low ketones
- It can give result within 5 seconds
- The display is larger and has the backlit mode to read the values in dark
- Dr. Trust kit comes with 10 lancets and 10 strips
- Has a handy ejector to dispose of a lancet without touching it after use.
- Dr. Trust offers a 1-year warranty to its customers
Challenge: Costly device
AccuSure simple Glucometer
Coming from the reputed brand of Dr. Gene AccuSure Simple Glucometer is one of the easy-to-use and portable devices that can be readily used for measuring blood glucose levels. The device comes with a carrying pouch that makes the device easier to use. It makes use of the fourth generation latest GDH FAD enzyme technology. This enzyme technology has the highest accuracy amongst all enzyme technologies that are used for testing. Due to which this device is one of the best glucometers around.
- Comes with 25 testing strips and 10 lancet needles
- It comes with a pricking gun that makes blood testing easier
- LCD with big clear display digits
- The test results are out within 8 seconds of the tests
- Requires minimal blood of 0.5 microliter
- Can store 1000 previous results
- Can measure blood sugar levels from 20 to 650 mg/dl.
- Modes of testing after fasting, after meals, or general mode are available.
Challenge: The result is not transferable to another device. You can take a picture via mobile phone.
Beato Smartphone Glucometer
Beato Smartphone Glucometer is useable through your smartphone. The device can be plugged in through your audio jack of the smartphone. To guide you with the outcome of the result, smartphone apps are used. You can share the results with a doctor or friend instantly through your phone.
- Comes with 20 test strips and 20 lancets
- The smartphone becomes a glucometer by plugging the device into the audio jack.
- Easy to carry
- requires 0.6 mg/dl of a blood sample for testing
- Gives time within 10 seconds
Disadvantage: Takes time for first-time use due to set up and installation.
AccuSure Gold Blood glucose monitoring device
If you are aiming to buy a complete home care solution for effective diabetes management AccuSure gold glucometer is a perfect choice. Coming from the brand of Dr. Gene AccuSure Gold is among the world’s most accurate blood glucose level monitoring devices.
- It makes use of Gold electrode strips for testing
- The kit gives result within 8 seconds
- Comes with 50 testing strips and 50 lancets
- The display is handy and easy to use
- Can compute result average for 7, 14, 21, 30, and 90 days. Thus, can give a complete 3 monthly diabetes control profile
- The device is capable of displaying 150 Test results with Date & Time.
- Requires 1.4 microlitres of blood for testing
- Challenge: It is costly and the price is 1900/-
Contour Plus Blood glucose monitoring system:
This is a simple-to-use device from Bayer that has a very low error margin. This device makes use of biosensor technology which makes testing painless. This device usage requires no previous technological knowledge. It is a good device that can fit into anyone’s budget.
- The kit consists of 5 lancets with 25 testing strips
- The device is capable of giving result within 5 seconds
- Requires no coding and no installation
- Ready to use the device
- Provides result for 7, 14, and 21 days average values
- Capable of storing 800 previous results
- The presence of the smart light feature alerts patients when their blood glucose levels are too high or too low.
- Assist to maintain a constant relation to database information.
One Touch Select Verio Flex Glucometer
The device makes use of Colorsure Technology. One Touch Select Verio Flex Glucometer is a highly reliable blood glucose monitoring system. It comes with a handy slim design.
Colorsure technology makes readings of the blood glucose levels easy to interpret. The color of the screen changes based on the sugar levels of the blood.
- The blue colour indicates that the sugar levels are below the safe levels.
- Green colour signifies normal levels and
- The red colour signifies that the blood sugar levels are high.
- The kit comes with 10 lancets and 10 strips
- The display is very clear and uses large digits
- Displays results with date and time
- The device gives result within 5 seconds
- Requires minimum amount of blood of 0.4 microliter
- Measures sugar levels as low as 20 mg/dL and maximum value of 600 mg/dL
- Supports Bluetooth and USB connectivity for data transfer
- Can store 500 previous results
- It is economical
Truworth G-30 Glucometer
It is one of the tiniest glucometer devices. Truworth is capable of measuring accurate blood glucose levels before and after meals. It is a simple-to-use device. The results from the devices are transferable to the cloud. Truworth G-30 Glucometer is available in various colors.
- The kit comes with 10 strips and 10 lancets
- Requires just 0.5 microliters of blood for testing
- gives result in 5 seconds
- It can store 450 previous results
- It can display average result 7, 14, 21,28, 60, and 90 days
- Can transfer data and result record via USB port connectivity.
- With the help of the GlucoFone App, you can transfer the result from the device to cloud storage.
- Before buying check on the warranty period offered by the manufacturer
- Dispose of the lancet needles after one use
- While drawing blood, use swabs to clean the finger.
- Avoid taking the first blood sample as swab alcohol reacts with blood and can give wrong results.
- Check about the measuring time before buying the device
- Chek about the battery life before purchasing the device.
- Before using test strips know about their expiry. The test strips expire within 6 months of the package opening.
Which finger should I prick for testing blood glucose levels?
WHO recommendation states to use middle or ring finger for testing blood glucose levels.
For how long can I use any glucometer?
Glucometers like AccuCheck can last for 10 years while some require quick replacement.
Some glucometers are labeled as coded and some as No coding required. What is it?
Glucometers require some calibrations and set up before using them. Such glucometers require some coding. While some glucometers come with pre-calibrated information and setup and thus have no coding written on them.
When should I use these testing devices or glucometers?
There is no restriction on the time of usage of these devices. You can test your blood glucose levels whenever you want to. But the best time would be to monitor your fasting glucose levels in the morning or after meals.