Last updated on February 14th, 2023
The key to properly managing diabetes is to regularly monitor blood glucose levels. Regular monitoring of glucose levels after meals, after exercises, or workouts helps to determine the impact of diet or workout on blood glucose levels.
This helps in proper diet planning and workout planning. Read this blog to know about the top 10 best glucometers in India.
Technology has touched the healthcare sector for better and more accurate diagnosis, treatment, and care. Technology integration into healthcare has resulted in numerous innovative products that improve patient care.
One such innovation is Glucometer. It is a user-friendly device for people with diabetes.
What is Glucometer?
The word “Glucometer” comes from two words: glucose and meter. It is a small portable digital device that measures blood glucose levels. A glucometer is also known as a blood sugar check machine and is a handy device that is easy to operate. It assists diabetic patients in knowing their current blood sugar levels. You will read about the best glucometers in India in the upcoming sections.
Also Read: Normal Sugar Level
Let’s look at the parts of a glucometer and how they work as a blood glucose monitoring system.
The entire unit of the glucometer comes with a glucometer machine, glucometer lancets (needles), and strips.
- Glucometer Reading Device: This is the digital interface that displays values of measured blood sugar in mg/dL.
- Glucometer Lancets: For measuring blood glucose levels, a blood sample is drawn by pricking fingers with the help of lancets. These lancets are comprised of 2 parts. The pricking needle is a lancet. While the other part is used to hold the needle into it. It is known as a lancet holder. Dispose of the lancet safely after its use and do not use it again.
- Glucometer Test Strips: For measuring blood glucose levels the test strips are coated with enzymes on it. For testing the blood drop is placed on one side of the strip. The blood glucose starts to react with the enzyme on the strip. This reaction causes the release of gluconic acid. The other end of the strip is inserted into the glucometer. The reaction of glucose with blood causes an oxidation reaction that results in the transfer of electrons, resulting in the generation of an electrical current. This value is the blood glucose level present in the blood and the glucometer reading device displays it digitally.
The glucometer kit comprises a glucometer digital device, strips, and a lancet. It measures blood glucose levels.
Why use Glucometer?
- Testing blood glucose levels is the only way to confirm the level of blood sugar or glucose at any given time.
- Regular testing can allow the detection of high and low levels and their causes.
- Testing regularly will help to determine how well the person is managing his symptoms of diabetes by combining insulin therapy, meal preparation, and exercise.
- Regular testing also reduces the risk of complications from diabetes and helps in efficient diabetes management.
- The results of these tests will enable a doctor to modify the overall treatment strategy.
How to Use Glucometer?
- Switch on the measuring device
- Connect the strip by inserting it into the glucometer port
- Blood sampling: Take out a fresh glucometer lancet and prick your finger with care.
- Take out the test strip and place the blood sample at one end.
- Note your readings.
The glucometer gives results within 10 minutes of blood collection. New generation glucose testing monitors have additional features such as wireless connectivity, memory, and advanced data processing tools for monitoring glucose concentration for longer periods, besides, accurately representing sugar levels in digital form.
It is essential to learn the techniques and tips of using glucose monitoring devices from a trained nurse/practitioner. This shall help in understanding the device readings and using them properly.
Also Read: Indian Diabetic Diet Chart
Tips to Use Glucometer
Always follow some strict guidelines for using glucometers at home. There are some things you should remember before using Glucometer:
- Wash your hands properly before using a glucometer. Sometimes people use it without washing their hands which is malpractice. Your hands look neat but still, there must be some residues on your fingertips from eating or touching food items. Some studies show a 10% reading difference between the first drop and to second drop. So wash and dry them properly before using a glucometer at home.
- When you use a spirit or alcohol swab to clean the first drop, never use the device immediately. Let it dry then use it for a second drop.
- It should be clean and properly sanitized to avoid any infections.
- Devices that use fingersticks can not be used by more than one person. Keep it strictly private.
- Never share your devices with anyone else.
- Always use disposable or single-use lancets to avoid any reuse or shared practices.
- Use new and good lancets or strips to get accurate results. An old or expired kit can affect your test results.
- Do not rush! Some people test their blood sugar levels after 30 minutes or an hour of each meal which is not a positive sign. The correct time to test blood sugar level is 2 hours after a meal.
- Every diabetic patient should drink more water. Dehydration leads to increased sugar levels. So keep yourself hydrated with water and healthy fluids.
- Rub your hands before taking a test. Never squeeze your fingertips. It will give wrong readings.
Tips to buy a Glucometer
Buying any glucometer is not the right thing to do. A glucometer is a device that keeps a tab of your blood sugar levels so choosing the right device is very important. It determines your carb count and medicines modifications so keep buying a perfect glucometer. There are a few things you should keep in the mind before choosing a glucometer:
- Choose a good brand because it is a device for your sugar level monitoring.
- There are many brands available in the market with varying prices so go for a perfect and budget-friendly glucometer.
- It should have insurance coverage. For diabetics, standard glucometers are typically covered by insurance.
- Try to buy a device that shows results within 5 seconds of the test.
- Choose an automatic coding device.
- Your device should have the ability to store and retrieve your sugar reading data.
- Your device should be easy to use with perfect results.
- Try to buy a device with illuminated screens.
- For vision problems, use a device that has an audio facility.
- Buy a device that uses small samples of blood.
- Your device must have automatic coding because manual settings can have errors that affect your readings.
- Remember buying a device is not all you need to do, you have to buy strips and lancets constantly so make sure it won’t be heavy on your pocket.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Glucometer
Every modern technology comes with some pros and cons, and so does the glucometer. It is a great device to keep a keen eye on your daily glucose levels, and it also gives you comfort. But there are some disadvantages. Let’s know about the advantages and disadvantages of a glucometer:
Advantages of Glucometer
- It saves time.
- It provides real-time readings.
- It provides good information about your blood glucose levels which helps you to decide about your diet and medication modifications.
- It helps you to detect hypoglycemia and saves any emergency situation.
- It is a good option for elderly people who can’t commute frequently for blood tests.
- It is easy to use and can be used at home.
- It saves money and acts as a cost-effective device.
- High readings of sugar levels can be alarming for various infections, inflammation, or illness. Using a glucometer can warn you beforehand of such physical conditions.
- It provides almost accurate test readings that help you to manage your diet plan.
- Regular blood readings give a clear view of modifying medication and changing doses.
Disadvantages of Glucometer
- These devices are not always accurate about your blood glucose readings.
- These can be expensive, so using them regularly can put a lot of burden on your pocket.
- Regular glucose tests require constant pricking which is painful.
- You need to be careful with the amount of blood to use for accurate readings. If the sample is very small or very large, it will impact the correct readings.
- Sometimes using these devices can result in infections so it is important to be careful while using these devices.
- It can make you rely on it. Using so much glucometer can be very difficult for your mental health. Regular blood test results can make you rely on it and can be stressful.
Factors Affecting Glucometer’s Testing Accuracy
When glucometers are used appropriately, they usually give accurate results. But rarely they might also be incorrect. The following factors should be considered as these are found to influence meter accuracy, also the steps to resolve or prevent the problem are also given. Factors that affect accuracy along with their solutions
- Test strip problems: Discard damaged or out-of-date test strips. Strips should be stored in their sealed container; should be kept protected from heat, moisture, and light.
- Intense temperatures: The meter, as well as strips, should be kept at room temperature.
- Improper coding: Few meters should be coded to each container of test strips. Make sure that the code number in the device corresponds with the code number present on the container of the test strip.
- Alcohol, dirt, or other substances on skin: Hands, as well as the testing site, should be washed and dried carefully before pricking the skin.
- Testing site location: If a person is employing a site excluding a fingertip and he or she believes that the reading is wrong, test again by making use of blood from a fingertip. Blood samples from alternative sites aren’t as precise as fingertip samples when the sugar level is spiking or dropping too fast.
- Monitor issues: The test strip should be completely inserted into the monitor. The monitor batteries must be replaced as per the requirement.
- The number of RBCs in the blood: If a person is dehydrated or the RBC count is less (anaemia), this might indicate a discrepancy in the test results.
Read More: Top 10 Homeopathic Medicines for Diabetes
List of Best Glucometers in India
There are numerous glucometer devices in the market. The obvious question that comes to mind is which is the best glucometer in India? What are the key features of the best glucometer machine? Let’s examine the best glucometer devices available in the market in India. The devices are ranked as per the ease of use of the device and its accuracy in measuring sugar levels.
One-Touch Select Plus Simple Glucometer:
If you are searching for a simple-to-use machine that gives fast and accurate results, OneTouch Select Plus Simple glucometer is one of the best glucometers in India to buy. As is the name OneTouch, it requires you to only switch on the device and get results. It is also known in the market with the name as ColourSure One Touch Select Plus Simple Blood Glucose Monitoring System.
Features of One-Touch Select Plus Simple Glucometer:
- The device has 10 lancets and 10 strips with it.
- It requires only 0.5 microliters of blood.
- The result of blood sugar appears within 5 seconds.
- It can keep 10 previous test records in its memory.
- It has an LED display and an audio alert mechanism.
- Requires no coding or setup mechanism before using,
- Operable through the battery.
- A small and portable machine.
- It is easy to use this device.
- The minimum and maximum measuring limits of the device are set. These limits cannot be changed.
- Key point: It is the best glucometer in terms of accuracy. It gives next to accurate results as lab results.
The strips are very costly.
Read More: Most Easy Home Remedies to Cure Remedies
Accu Chek Glucometer:
It is a simple sugar testing machine in India. Gives readings for the previous 3 months. It can mark readings for the past 7, 14, 30, and 90 days.
Features of Accu Chek Glucometer:
- Small handy device
- Capable of storing 500 previous results.
- It has an LCD.
- Accu Check has 2 buttons and thus is simple to operate.
- Has Micro USB built a port for transferring result data to a laptop or personal computer.
- It can hold data for 90 days and thus can give a complete glucose profile for 3 months.
- The Accu chek glucometer comes with 10 strips and 10 lancets. The sugar test kit comes with a softclix lancing that is used for the first test since your first purchase.
- It requires 1-2 microliter of the blood sample. If the blood sample is less in quantity an alert beep sound comes from the machine.
- If by mistake you place an expired test strip, the machine gives an alert beep sound.
- Wireless connectivity with diabetes management application i.e., mySugr.
- Bright strip port light as well as backlit display.
- Verified precision matching the latest ISO standards.
- Hygienic removal of strips after testing.
- Spill-resistant vial planned to hold strips firmly in position.
- Wide dosing area of test strips, a small drop of blood.
Expensive and cannot be recharged.
Also Read: Ayurvedic Remedies For Diabetes
Accu Check Active Glucometer
Features and Benefits
- Precise measurement of blood sugar
- No coding for blood glucose monitoring, simple to use with only two buttons to operate
- Smart for use, reports around 90 days of test results
- Easy-to-read display
- Safe, with warnings for expired strips or underdosing
- Expedient testing, use strips in or out of the meter
Dr. Morepen BG-03 Gluco One Glucometer
Dr. Morepen’s glucometer makes use of biosensor technology for measuring sugar levels. This is one of the options of the best glucometers in India. The device is economical as it comes with 25 Dr. Morepen glucometer test strips and 10 lancets.
Features of Cheapest & Best Sugar Testing Machine in India
- Based on biosensor technology
- Has a larger display with a date and time function to help you note the readings according to with date.
- Needs 0.5 microliters of blood for sample testing.
- Gives results within 5 seconds.
- Can store nearly 300 previous tests results
- Uses audio beep sounds for alerts like less blood amount, used strips, etc.
- Lifetime warranty from the company
- Gives average results of 7, 14, and 31 days.
- Cheaper device
Read More: Do Antibiotics Effect Diabetes People
Dr. Trust Glucometer:
Dr. Trust’s glucometer uses the advanced technology of GDH and FAD technology that does not consider blood oxygen interference. It is the blood oxygen interferences that cause wrong results in glucometers. Thus, Dr. Trust’s glucometer eliminates this challenge with its new enzyme-based technology. It is a fully automatic device and a very effective device. It tells about ketones levels along with blood sugar levels.
Features of Dr. Trust Glucometer:
- It has 3 modes of operation.
- General mode for blood sugar checkups at any time of the day.
- PC mode measures blood glucose levels after meals
- AC mode measures blood glucose levels in an empty stomach generally after fasting
- Uses smiley to depict the result. If the results are good the smiley is of a happy face else of a sad face.
- The machine automatically shuts down after 3 minutes without any usage.
- You can check blood sugar levels by drawing blood from other parts of the body
- Larger memory and stores 1000 previous results with proper date and time of tests
- Gives the function of setting an alarm for a reminder of sugar level tests after meals or before meals or at your desired time.
- gives details on levels or changes of levels of Ketones as high ketones or low ketones
- It can give results within 5 seconds
- The display is larger and has the backlit mode to read the values in dark
- It has 3 modes of operation.
- Dr. Trust kit comes with 10 lancets and 10 strips
- Has a handy ejector to dispose of a lancet without touching it after use.
- Dr. Trust offers a 1-year warranty to its customers
Challenge: Costly device
AccuSure Simple Glucometer
Coming from the reputed brand of Dr. Gene AccuSure Simple Glucometer is one of the easy-to-use and portable devices that can be readily used for measuring blood glucose levels. The device comes with a carrying pouch that makes the device easier to use. It makes use of the fourth generation latest GDH FAD enzyme technology. This enzyme technology has the highest accuracy amongst all enzyme technologies that are used for testing. Due to which this device is one of the best sugar testing machines in India. The cost of this simple machine ranges from INR 600 to 1200 per device.
Features of Enzyme Technology-Based Sugar Testing Machine
- Comes with 25 testing strips and 10 lancet needles
- It comes with a pricking gun that makes blood testing easier
- LCD with big clear display digits
- The test results are out within 8 seconds of the tests
- Requires minimal blood of 0.5 microliter
- Can store 1000 previous results
- Can measure blood sugar levels from 20 to 650 mg/dl.
- Modes of testing after fasting, after meals, or general mode are available.
Challenge: The result is not transferable to another device. You can take a picture via mobile phone.
Beato Smartphone Glucometer
Beato Smartphone Glucometer is useable through your smartphone. The device can be plugged in through the audio jack of the smartphone. To guide you with the outcome of the result, smartphone apps are used. You can share the results with a doctor or friend instantly through your phone. If you are a pioneer in technology then give a try to this diabetes testing machine.
Features of Mobile App-Based Glucometers
- Comes with 20 test strips and 20 lancets
- The smartphone becomes a glucometer by plugging the device into the audio jack.
- Easy to carry
- requires 0.6 mg/dl of a blood sample for testing
- Gives time within 10 seconds
Disadvantage: Takes time for first-time use due to set-up and installation.
Also Read: Normal Ranges of HbA1c Test
AccuSure Gold Blood Glucose Monitoring Device
If you are aiming to buy a complete home care solution for effective diabetes management, AccuSure gold glucometer is a perfect choice. Coming from the brand of Dr. Gene AccuSure Gold is among the world’s most accurate blood glucose level monitoring devices and holding position seven in the list of best glucometers in India.
Features of AccuSure Gold Blood Glucose Monitoring Device
- It makes use of Gold electrode strips for testing
- The kit gives results within 8 seconds
- Comes with 50 testing strips and 50 lancets
- The display is handy and easy to use
- Can compute result averages for 7, 14, 21, 30, and 90 days and it can give a complete 3 monthly diabetes control profile
- The device is capable of displaying 150 Test results with Date & Time.
- Requires 1.4 microlitres of blood for testing
- Challenge: It is costly and the price is 1900/-
Contour Plus Blood Glucose Monitoring System:
This is a simple-to-use device from Bayer that has a very low error margin. This device makes use of biosensor technology which makes testing painless. This device usage requires no previous technological knowledge. It is a good device that can fit into anyone’s budget.
Features of Budget-Friendly and Best Glucometer Machine
- The kit consists of 5 lancets with 25 testing strips
- The device is capable of giving results within 5 seconds
- Requires no coding and no installation
- Ready to use the device
- Provides results for 7, 14, and 21 days average values
- Capable of storing 800 previous results
- The smart light feature alerts patients during too-high and too-low sugar levels.
- Assist in maintaining a constant relation to database information.
One Touch Select Verio Flex Glucometer
The device makes use of Colorsure Technology. One Touch Select Verio Flex Glucometer is a reliable blood glucose monitoring system. It comes with a handy slim design.
Colorsure technology makes readings of blood glucose levels easy to interpret. The color of the screen changes based on the sugar levels of the blood.
- The blue colour indicates that the sugar levels are below safe levels.
- The green colour signifies normal levels and
- The red colour signifies that the blood sugar levels are high.
Features of Color-Based Sugar Testing Machine
- The kit comes with 10 lancets and 10 strips
- The display is very clear and uses large digits
- Displays results with date and time
- The device gives results within 5 seconds
- Requires minimum amount of blood of 0.4 microliter
- Measures sugar levels as low as 20 mg/dL and a maximum value of 600 mg/dL
- Supports Bluetooth and USB connectivity for data transfer
- Can store 500 previous results
- It is economical
Truworth G-30 Glucometer
It is one of the tiniest glucometer devices. Truworth is capable of measuring accurate blood glucose levels before and after meals. It is a simple-to-use device. The results from the devices are transferable to the cloud. Truworth G-30 Glucometer is available in various colors.
Features of Truworth G-30 Glucometer – Cloud-Based Top Glucometers
- The kit comes with 10 strips and 10 lancets
- Requires just 0.5 microliters of blood for testing
- gives result in 5 seconds
- It can store 450 previous results
- It can display average result 7, 14, 21,28, 60, and 90 days
- Can transfer data and result record via USB port connectivity.
- With the help of the GlucoFone App, you can transfer the result from the device to cloud storage.
Also Read: Best Yoga Asanas For Diabetes
General Guidelines For Using Diabetes Testing Machine
- Before buying the best glucometers in India. Please check on the warranty period offered by the manufacturer
- Dispose of the lancet needles after one use
- While drawing blood, use swabs to clean the finger.
- Avoid taking the first blood sample as swab alcohol reacts with blood and can give wrong results.
- Check about the measuring time before buying the device
- Please Check information about the battery life prior to purchasing the device.
- Before using test strips know about their expiry. The test strips expire within 6 months of the package opening.
Daily Blood Glucose Testing:
- is a key constituent of any effective diabetes care plan.
- determines proper glucose control.
- detects patterns leading to a spike or crash.
- determines how factors (stress, exercise) influence glucose levels.
- check the efficiency of diabetes drugs.
Glucometer plays an important role in the life of a diabetic. It allows them to stay aware of their regular sugar levels on a daily basis. It also helps them to decide about their food choices, diet plan, and medication.
Glucometer also determines the health condition of a diabetic based on blood sugar levels. They are easy to use and save time in visiting path labs or doctors.
Thus, it’s up to you to choose the glucometer that best supports your requirements.
In an effort to shorten your hunt, Breathe Well-being’s experts explored many alternatives and identified the above-stated best glucometers for monitoring your blood glucose level. Discussing with registered diabetes educators, or taking help from diabetes reversal plans such as Breathe Well-being helps a diabetic to feel motivated again.
Breathe Well-being’s Diabetes Reversal program is a holistic care program for diabetes. Breathe Well-being helps maintain healthy glucose levels by working upon diet, fitness or exercise, and stress lowering approaches. Please hurry and get benefits from our cost-effective package by visiting our website.
Read More: Madhunashini Vati For Diabetes
The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.