Last updated on October 4th, 2022
Diabetes prevalence has increased manifold over the years. One in every ten adults has symptoms of diabetes mellitus. India has emerged as the diabetic capital of the world. Stress, improper lifestyle, and poor diet controls are the key contributing factors to diabetes. Some natural home remedies are found to be highly beneficial in controlling and curing diabetes. Read this blog to know the best home remedies for diabetes type 1 or 2.
This article gives information on “How to reduce sugar level with home remedies?”
Natural Home Remedies for Diabetes Cure
Nature has a blend of items that have been used for centuries for medical cures. Many plants are of medicinal value and have been used to treat various medical conditions.
Science has used the gifts of nature to make medicines that can be used directly for treatment. As far as natural products are concerned, there is a need to have proper knowledge before using them. One of my patients, Sowmya, was unaware of the fact that all the nutrient-rich food that she is required to consume for reverse diabetes is already there in her kitchen before she got on a call with us. She was glad to realize that she doesn’t need to spend extra buying supplements and protein powders to fulfill her body requirements.
Also Read: Can Diabetics Eat Jaggery?
Overview of Natural Home Remedies For Diabetes
Diabetes is a condition wherein blood sugar levels are above normal sugar levels. It can thus be controlled if the food that you eat is helping in controlling blood sugar levels.
Before looking for answers to how to cure diabetes at home naturally, we should understand the food we eat. Some foods raise blood sugar levels rapidly. These are high glycaemic index foods. While some food products are known to release glucose very slowly. These are low glycaemic index foods. Thus, a proper selection of low and high glycaemic index natural foods can help in regulating sugar levels.
Balance of high and low glycaemic index foods is the key to controlling diabetes naturally. Most of us are unaware of glycemic values in different food items and many don’t have time to keep a track of what we should or shouldn’t eat. So it becomes difficult to maintain healthy eating habits in the long run. Over the consultation call, Ms. Shanoo shared a similar experience. She got on a healthy diet and developed a walking routine but once the rhythm broke for some reason (traveling etc.), she was back to square one. The diet Coach plays an important role here. Personalised Diet plans along with regular follow-ups, help us monitor and regularise blood sugar levels. Whether you are traveling or there is a wedding at home, Diet Coach covers all your excuses.
Also Read: Best Diabetic Diet Chart
Home Remedies For High Sugar Level Control
Natural home remedies for diabetes play an important role when there is less availability of medicines or alternative therapy like Diabetes Reversal for controlling diabetes. Moreover, diet management in diabetes is an essential key to its control. When one thinks of how to control sugar without medicine, natural home remedies make the best option.
Blood Glucose Levels above 180mg/dL after 2 hours of eating are considered high blood sugar. Eating foods with low sugar content, low glycaemic index foods, and a less carb diet is good for high sugar conditions. Some top 10 home remedies for sugar patients with high blood sugar control are as follows:
Curry leaves for the cure
Curry leaves are the best natural antioxidants. They are known to control high blood sugar levels. When mixed with cinnamon and fenugreek seeds they increase glucose absorption by cells. Diabetes Reversal Diet includes smoothies and drinks which act as antioxidants, thus regulating blood sugar levels. Here is the recipe to make one and we bet you have all the ingredients available in your kitchen
- Curry leaves
- Fenugreek seeds
- Take 2 to 3 glasses of water.
- Add 8/9 curry leaves to it.
- Take 1 stick of cinnamon and add it.
- Add little ginger and boil all the ingredients on medium flame until it becomes half of it.
- Consume the entire portion in two parts.
Measure your sugar levels after consuming the first part of the portion.
Also Read: Homeopathic Medicine For Diabetes
Jamun seeds powder
Jamun seeds (Blackberries) are considered among the effective home remedies for diabetes. These seeds are a rich source of jamboline and jambosine. These two ingredients help in slowing down the glucose release into the blood . It also reduces symptoms of frequent urination and thirst. Check how to make this effectual powder below:
- Jamun seeds
- Take 20/25 seeds of Jamun and dry them completely.
- Make powder of seeds.
- Mash properly and store in a jar
- Take a tablespoon of seeds powder twice a day.
Read More: Do Antibiotics Raise Blood Sugar Levels?
Fenugreek seeds (Methi seeds) are a rich source of glucomannan fibre. This fibre helps in delaying the intestinal absorption of sugar. Alkaloids like fednugrecin and amino acids 4 hydroxy isoleucine present in the seed act on the pancreas to release insulin thereby helping in high sugar control . Follow the steps below and benefit from this effective and common kitchen ingredient.
- Fenugreek seeds
- Take 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds.
- Take 2 glasses of water and boil the seeds in water.
- Keep the boiled water at room temperature overnight. And drink it the next morning on an empty stomach.
Also Read: Sugar Level Chart According To Age
Indian gooseberries or amla are powerful antioxidants. When it comes to thinking of the best home remedies to lower blood sugar, Amla is a perfect choice. As it is a rich source of Vitamin C amla’s have been widely used for immunity boosting. Amla can control pancreatitis and thus helps in the proper production of insulin . It increases the body’s response toward insulin and regulates carbohydrate metabolism all helping in controlling high blood sugar levels. Why consume packed amla juices when you can make fresh juice without any preservatives, in just 2 minutes? Check the recipe below:
- Take 2 amlas. Grind it properly.
- Add one glass of water to the mixture.
- Add salt for the taste and drink the juice.
Okra popularly known as bhindi or ladyfinger is a great source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It is a low-calorie and low glycemic index diet. For people who continuously think of “how to reduce sugar levels naturally” Okra is a perfect food item for them.
Myricetin present in Okra helps in increasing cellular absorption of blood glucose. The green peel and the seeds of the plant help in lowering blood sugar by slowing down the sugar absorption from the intestines. Thus, it helps in reducing blood sugar levels. Make your Okra drink and improve your blood sugar levels.
- Lady’s finger
- Cut the lady’s finger horizontally and take out the seeds from it.
- Put the seeds to dry under the sunlight or at room temperature.
- Make the powder of dry seeds.
- Add the powder of the dry seeds to 2 glasses of water.
- Mix well and drink.
- Use the peeled skin for making curry.
Moringa or Drum sticks
Moringa is constituted with rich medical benefits that assist in regulating the levels of blood glucose as well as treating type 2 diabetes. It is found to contain antioxidants and vitamin C.
- Some Moringa pieces are cut and added into a jug full of water, all you need to do is keep sipping whenever you feel thirsty!
- Toss some in your dal as well as explore its richness.
Apple Cider Vinegar
The primary compound in Apple Cider Vinegar is acetic acid. And acetic acid is thought to account for a majority of its health benefits. A lot of evidence-based approaches have been existing for using ACV.
- Two tablespoons of ACV are taken before bedtime. This helps in decreasing the morning fasting glucose levels.
- Even better, one to two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar can be consumed with meals. This helps in reducing the glycemic load of a carb-rich meal.
High blood sugar levels can be controlled with Jamun seeds, curry leaves, ladyfinger, Amla, etc. Test your blood sugar levels after every meal. 10000+ patients have reversed diabetes by making healthy changes in their eating habits. Why go for supplements and medicines when you can get rid of diabetes with little effort along with proper guidance from a Certified Diet Coach.
Read More: Madhunashini Vati For Diabetes
Home Remedies For Low Blood Sugar Levels Control
A low blood sugar condition is medically known as hypoglycemia. The blood sugar levels fall drastically below 70 mg /dL. It can be fatal if left untreated. The common cause of low blood sugar is the overdose of insulin or any other medicine, any illness, or an improper diet.
Low sugar treatment varies according to the sugar levels.
Between 55 to 70 mg/dL
If your sugar levels are between 55 to 70 mg/dL, the following natural home remedies for diabetes are the best cure:
- A glass of water with 1 tablespoon of sugar in it.
- 1 tablespoon of Honey
- 2 tablespoons of raisins
- ½ cup of apple or orange juice
- 1 cup of fat-free milk
- ½ banana
- 1 small apple
- 3 to 4 glucose tablets
Wait for 15 minutes and measure your sugar levels. If your sugar levels are greater than or equal to 100 mg/dL you are fine. Otherwise, take one more portion. Repeat it till the sugar levels are normal to 100 mg/dL.
But if the sugar levels are less than 55 mg/dL and the patient is conscious. Then immediately give:
- 1 tablespoon of Honey
- ½ cup of 100% orange juice
- 1/3 cup of 100% grape juice
Wait for 15 minutes and repeat the sugar level tests. Consume the above again till your sugar levels are normal.
As soon as you return to normal, eat a protein-rich diet like a handful of peanuts or peanuts with crackers. It shall help in keeping your sugar levels within range.
But in case you are still facing trouble in normalizing your blood sugar levels, call the doctor immediately.
Apart from these above directions, some natural remedies that are good for low sugar treatment are as follows:
Honey cashew syrup
- Warm water
- Crushed cashew nuts
- Take one glass of warm water.
- Add two tablespoons of crushed cashew nuts.
- Add one tablespoon of honey.
- Mix it well and drink it every night for better results.
Check sugar after 15 minutes. If it is above 100 mg/dL you are fine. Otherwise, take half a cup of the same syrup again.
- 3 Apples
- Rinse & peel apples.
- Chop them and place them in the pan.
- Pour water in the pan with apples such that apples are covered with water.
- Put the pan on low flame.
- Add sugar if needed.
- Keep stirring till the apples are cooked.
- Mash the apples or blend them.
- Your apple sauce is ready. Refrigerate it and use it.
Take ½ cup of applesauce whenever your sugar is low.
Black Grapes & Apple juice
- Black grapes
- ½ tablespoon Sugar
- Take an apple and chop it.
- Add one cup of black grapes.
- Add some water and a tablespoon of sugar.
- Make juice & drink half a cup of it anytime.
Raisins Milk blend
- Take one glass of hot water.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of raisins this mix them well.
- Drink this every day as it helps in regaining your blood sugar level in no time.
Honey & milk
- Take one glass of milk.
- Add 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of honey.
- And drink it whenever you feel that your blood sugar level is getting down.
Raisins, fruit juices and applesauce are all beneficial for raising blood sugar levels. Use them in appropriate quantities to avoid hypoglycemia. I have come across people who believe eating anything that is sweet like chocolate, sugar can increase their sugar levels. But the fact is, these things do not work as quickly to raise blood sugar levels. While combinations/ recipes mentioned above are a fast-acting way to counteract blood sugar levels.
Home Remedies For Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Control
A common question that surrounds a diabetic patient’s mind is “How to treat type-1 and type 2 diabetes naturally?” or “what is the best natural diet to control type 1 and type 2 diabetes?”
A healthy diabetic diet is essential to control and manage diabetes effectively. A healthy diet should have high fiber content, protein, and fats with controlled carbs. All these nutrients have to be consumed in a balanced quantity. Too less or too much can again be dangerous. So, proper guidance of a certified Diet Coach is required. Everyone’s body has different requirements. A personalised diet plan is therefore more effective and lasting. Here are some top home remedies to control diabetes both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Natural Home Remedies Juice: Detox Juice
The detox juice is highly beneficial for controlling diabetes. It helps you to stay hydrated, maintain proper weight, manage cholesterol levels, and maintain blood sugar levels.
- Spinach (Palak)
- Cinnamon powder
- Take 2 glasses of water and add all the ingredients to it.
- Blend the mixture and make juice from it.
- Drink and enjoy.
Ingredients like spinach, cucumber, and coriander are rich in vitamins and minerals. These are rich in fiber and help in weight control. They regulate blood glucose levels and thus are good for diabetes control.
Natural Remedies For Sugar Control Small & Healthy Snacks:
- Berries and Yoghurt: Take 1 small cup of low-fat yoghurt with 1 cup of berries. Berries are excellent antioxidants and a great source of fibre. It slows down the digestion process and thus helps in the stabilization of sugar levels. Yoghurt contains probiotics that improve body metabolism and thus enhance food absorption. In this way, it regulates blood sugar levels. It is also a rich source of calcium, vitamin D, and potassium.
- Apple with peanut butter: 1 small apple with 25 grams of peanut butter.
Apple is a low glycaemic fruit that contains polyphenols. Polyphenols slow down sugar absorption into the bloodstream after digestion of food. Thus, a rapid increase in blood sugar levels is prevented. Peanut butter, on the other hand, is a rich source of healthy fats, a good amount of fibre, and proteins. All of which are needed to help in regulating blood sugar absorption.
Vegetable Curry for Diabetes
- Green beans: Green beans are low glycemic index foods that contain high vitamins A, C, K, iron, chlorophyll, fiber, and folic acid. All these are vital nutrients for our body and help in regulating blood sugar levels .
- Turmeric powder ( 1/2 teaspoon)
- Chilli powder (1/2 teaspoon)
- Cumin seeds (1/2 teaspoon)
- Coriander powder ( ½ teaspoon)
- Onion paster (1 tablespoon)
- Garlic paste ( ½ tablespoon)
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup oil.
Fry all the ingredients in olive oil for 2/3 minutes then add beans and water it and cook for 15/20 minutes.
Apart from beans vegetables like Ladyfinger, Cucumber, and bitter gourd can be prepared similarly. All of them are good home remedies for type 2 diabetes and have proven beneficial in controlling type 1 diabetes.
Non-veg Food for Diabetes
For those who love to eat non-veg food but are diabetic, here are some home remedies to control sugar and maintain your love for food.
- Seafood and chicken are the preferable choices for diabetic patients.
- Red meat should be avoided as it contains a high level of saturated fats.
- If you also have a problem with cholesterol then you should not take egg yolk into your diet.
- You can eat 85 grams or 3 ounces of meat, 120 gram of fish, or 100 gram of chicken while diabetic .
- Avoid deep-frying chicken, fish, or meat.
Also Read: What is hba1c test for diabetes?
Try These Home Remedies to Reduce Sugar Levels
Today, people are experiencing poor lifestyles, insufficient exercise, and lots of stress and, it has become fundamental to exercise good practices aimed at improving overall health, particularly diabetes. As diabetes brings along a lot of other issues like Insomnia, acidity, irregular blood pressure, tingling sensation in hands and feet etc. Diabetes can be a hereditary or lifestyle-borne condition. In this condition, blood sugar levels are extremely high from the standard levels of fasting blood sugar. Since it is chronic (lifelong), a person should consume his or her medicines to keep their blood glucose under control. However, one can exercise certain effective home remedies to keep their sugar levels in check.
Home Remedies to Control Sugar Levels
- Count on the carbs and opt for foods with a low glycemic index. Monitoring of overall carb consumption is important. Many people are unable to monitor their diet for various reasons, which makes it difficult for them to regularize their sugar levels. People who got on a call with us were happy to know that they will get a Personal Diet Coach, Fitness Coach, and Diabetologist. Constant push and motivation, regular follow-ups, 24X7 reach, weekly challenges, and report cards have helped 10000+ patients reverse their diabetes.
- Drink a sufficient amount of water and keep the body hydrated. Drinking water keeps blood sugar levels within healthy limits. Also, helps the kidneys in washing down the excess sugar via urine.
- Be physically active. Exercise enhances insulin sensitivity and thus, reduces sugar levels. Fitness Coach plans a workout routine, which suits your body and can be done both at home or office.
- Increase the consumption of fibres. As fibre helps to delay the processes of carbohydrate digestion and sugar absorption. Thus, fibre raises sugar levels gradually.
- Manage stress levels by adopting good habits like exercise, meditation, or yoga. These help diabetic patients in regulating their blood sugar levels. One should never be hesitant to take help from a therapist or psychologist in case of high stress or depression. 1000s of people are off depression medication after joining the Diabetes Reversal Program.
- Lastly, good and sound sleep helps in keeping glucose levels in check. Also, sleep helps in maintaining a healthy weight. And poor sleep can disturb the crucial metabolic hormones. Insomnia can be treated naturally by Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Thus, the aforesaid effectual home remedies for diabetes help you win the same.
Healthy eating is one of the best ways to manage diabetes effectively. It also reduces the risks of other diseases like cardiovascular diseases, kidney diseases, and liver diseases. You should consult a dietician before making a diet plan for managing diabetes.
Remember to measure your blood glucose levels after every meal. In this way, you can monitor the food items and their impact on your body. Those food items which are negatively affecting you should be removed from your diet plan. A healthy diet can help you prevent, control and reverse diabetes naturally. Making significant lifestyle changes can help you regularize your blood sugar levels. Get educated on how to maintain your blood sugar at healthy levels.
Also Read: Low Carb High Fat Diet for Diabetics
Is it possible to eat mango in diabetes?
Consuming any fruit in limited quantity or in a balanced diet along with other low glycemic index and protein-rich fruit would be harmless. Taking 2 to 3 mango slices is fine unless you have no high diabetic levels.
What type of cereals is to be avoided while diabetic?
White bread, Maida, refined flour, pasta, and refined grains should be avoided in diabetes. Therefore, consume whole wheat flour, whole grain bread, and whole wheat pasta.
What is the best diabetic diet to eat early in the morning?
Diet shall depend on your sugar levels. Taking 5 almonds or 2 walnut halves along with a cup of sugar-free tea or coffee or coconut water or lemon water would be the best choice.
Which type of rice should I prefer while diabetic white or brown?
Both white and brown rice are high glycemic index foods. But Brown rice is more preferable as it contains more fibre content. It should be eaten with other low glycemic index foods and non-starchy vegetables to balance the sugar levels. Take only ½ cup of brown rice in your meals.
Last Updated on by Dr. Damanjit Duggal
The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.