Last updated on September 30th, 2022
Excessive weight gain makes you look chubby and gives you many health problems. A lot of people with obesity experience high blood sugar levels. Researchers have found that many people with diabetes type-2 have been able to reverse diabetes through losing weight. It becomes even easier for them to lose weight if their BMI falls within the moderate range. Therefore, if you want to reverse diabetes or keep your blood sugar levels in the normal range, you need to maintain healthy body weight. Read this blog to know about relationship between weight loss and diabetes reversal.
With the help of diet changes and weight loss, you may achieve healthy blood sugar levels without medications. Though, there is always a chance that the symptoms of diabetes come back because it is an ongoing disease. But, you can control diabetes and live healthy for several years without diabetes-related troubles. The key to reversing diabetes is weight loss. When you lose weight, the pancreatic beta-cells function properly. These cells are responsible for producing, storing, and releasing insulin that regulates blood sugar levels.
Rescue Beta-cell Functions
The beta-cells in your body are located in the pancreas. Its function is to produce, store, and release insulin to manage blood sugar levels. When the fat is accumulated near the pancreas and liver, the beta-cells cannot function effectively. It increases insulin resistance in your body, and insulin secretion becomes low. Therefore, weight loss is important for reversing diabetes so that the beta-cells are rescued for promoting insulin release in the body.
Losing Visceral Fat for Managing Diabetes
People with obesity can lose weight to reverse diabetes type-2. However, many people who are not overweight also develop diabetes type-2. One of the reasons can be visceral fat, which wraps around the abdominal organs inside your body. You may not be able to see or feel it. The visceral fat can cause trouble releasing protein and affect the hormones that cause inflammation. This inflammation can enter your liver, damage the arteries, and negatively impact sugar and fat breakdown. Therefore, losing visceral fat is important for managing diabetes.
Also Read: Normal Blood Sugar Range
Strategies that Help Weight Loss & Leads to Diabetes Reversal
Introduction of the following strategies in your life can help weight loss effectively, especially when you have diabetes:
- Chalk out your motivation for weight loss: Many people start a weight loss journey but give up within a few days or a month. Their spirit to continue goes down as they do not have any motivation for weight loss. Therefore, you need to find motivation and keep it positive for weight loss. It helps you sustain your weight loss journey to get better results.
- Switch to the liquid diet: The fat is cut down from your body when you switch to the low-calorie liquid diet. It also promotes the digestion process in your body. The liver starts using the stored fat for energy. Therefore, you may experience weight loss when extra body fat is burnt in your body.
- Select the right eating approach: It can be challenging for people with diabetes to decide whether to start a low-fat or low-carb diet. Well, no one diet can be a fit. Sticking to a single diet type for a long time may not work for weight loss and may give you other health issues. Therefore, you need to check out which type of diet makes more difference in weight loss. Accordingly, you can prefer the type of diet and your eating approach that works for you better.
- Consume more calories in the morning: The time you eat your food matters in maintaining your blood sugar levels. The experts say that breakfast should be your biggest meal and dinner should be the smallest meal of the day. Hence, it would help if you consumed more calories in the morning and fewer calories at night. When you consume more calories in the morning, your body will reduce the need for insulin to manage blood sugar levels and help in weight loss.
- Make a gradual change: Many people make the mistake of starting everything all at once for weight loss. It can be intimidating initially, but you may find it daunting to continue after some time. Therefore, you should start making gradual changes in your lifestyle for weight loss. It will help your body adapt to the changes easily, and you will continue practicing the changes for the long term.
- Eat whole foods: The concern is to include more fruits and vegetables in your meals with added protein. Fruits and vegetables are rich in fiber and micronutrients that improve digestion and lower blood sugar levels. Instead of consuming products made with refined flours, you should include whole grains and unprocessed food items.
- Monitor yourself: It is crucial to continue with your weight loss journey. You should keep monitoring your routine, body weight, and blood sugar levels. It will ensure that you follow the right weight loss program and not negatively affect your health. When you note down the body measurements and blood sugar levels, it becomes easier to track them to know the effectiveness of your efforts. If there is no progress, you can change the weight loss program or look for other effective methods for weight loss.
- Intermittent Fasting: It has become the latest trend in weight loss. Many people who have practiced intermittent fasting have achieved weight loss faster than the others. Intermittent fasting is the earing pattern in includes regular fasts but for short intervals. Fasting for a short time prevents you from consuming more calories that add to the weight gain. When you consume fewer calories, your blood sugar levels also remain manageable. You can choose the right intermittent fasting plan.
You can see a gradual loss in your body weight when you follow these strategies. It helps you to feel more energetic and light from inside. It will also help reduce the stress hormones and promote better health. Your metabolic functions of the body will also get normal over time.
You should be strategic when losing weight for blood sugar management. Choose the best diet plan, include more fiber, eat whole foods, or switch to a liquid diet for some time for weight loss. Intermittent fasting is another strategic way that helps manage blood sugar levels. You need to monitor yourself from time to time to know the effectiveness of the modifications that you bring to your life.
Weight Loss Friendly Foods that Support Diabetes Management
Controlling blood sugar levels is the key to managing diabetes. The best way to keep your blood sugar levels in control is to choose the right foods to eat. Here is a list of some superfoods with a low glycaemic index that can regulate blood sugar levels and promote weight loss.
- Leafy vegetables: Leafy vegetables are loaded with vitamins and minerals. These have fewer calories and fat content, which aids in weight loss and helps regulate blood sugar levels. Therefore, people aiming for weight loss and diabetes management should include many green vegetables. Spinach, kale, lettuce, and cabbage are green leafy vegetables.
- Whole grains: Whole grains are a rich source of fiber and antioxidants. Therefore, this helps metabolize fat and promote healthy weight loss. If you have diabetes type-2, you can include whole grains like wheat, barley, millets, ragi, and lentils in your diet. These satisfy you quickly and keep you full for a long time. Hence, these cut down your calorie intake and help in weight loss faster.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds are the superfoods for people who want to lose weight and manage their blood sugar levels. These contain a high amount of fiber, protein, antioxidants, and other micronutrients. Walnuts and flaxseeds are rich in magnesium and omega-3 fatty acids, promoting faster weight loss.
- Citrus fruits: Oranges, guava, gooseberries, etc., are citrus fruits. These fruits are a rich source of Vitamin C and fiber. People looking for weight loss and diabetes control should include citrus fruits in their diet. Eat these fruits as a whole and do not juice them. Juice removes the fiber content from the fruit. It also increases the risk of increasing blood sugar levels in diabetes patients.
- Non-starchy vegetables: Beans, baby corn, carrot, eggplant, mushrooms, broccoli, tomatoes, turnip, cucumber, and cauliflower are some non-starchy vegetables. This category of vegetables has a high content of fiber, low calories, and is packed with vitamins and minerals. Thus, they help in weight loss. They also have a glycemic index below 55 which helps manage blood sugar levels.
Leafy vegetables, whole grains, seeds and nuts, citrus fruits, and non-starchy vegetables are healthy food options that help weight loss. These are rich in vitamins, minerals, and other micronutrients which manage blood sugar levels.
Exercises to Lose Weight For Diabetes Reversal
Aside from the diet, exercising is a strategy that promotes weight loss. Exercises help shred extra pounds from your body by burning calories. In addition to weight loss, exercise gives many more benefits, including improving muscular strength, strengthening bones, managing cholesterol levels, stabilizing blood pressure and blood sugar levels. Generally, all types of exercises promote weight loss. If you exercise just for half an hour of the day, you can also gain the benefits of exercising.
Best Exercises for Losing Weight to Reverse Diabetes
Weight loss is one of the primary factors that help reverse diabetes. Some of the best exercises that help in weight loss and ultimately contributes to reversing diabetes are:
- Walking: Brisk walking is good for heart health and weight loss. It promotes blood flow to different parts of your body and improves its metabolism. Diabetes-related nerve pain stiffness of muscle also goes down when your brisk walk. It also helps burn calories that promote weight loss. People with diabetes should walk for at least 30 minutes a day.
- Cycling: Going on a cycle ride lets you put your energy to pedal the cycle. It lets your body demand more energy when you cycle on either plane or uneven terrain. Cycling also tones your leg muscles after weight loss to make you look good. It treats insulin resistance over time.
- Running: Running is another exercise that helps burn fat from your body. When the fat accumulated on the liver, kidney, and heart is removed, your body’s insulin sensitivity is improved. It helps manage diabetes and support weight loss.
- Weight lifting: Weight lifting helps burn calories during and after a workout. It builds your muscle mass which improves your metabolism. Thus, more calories are burnt when you are at rest.
- Yoga: Yoga is a traditional exercise done at a slow pace. Practicing various postures of yoga burns your calories and improves your concentration. It also helps you gain control over your emotions and reduces cravings.
- Pilates: It is a form of exercise that helps improve flexibility, strength, balance, and endurance. It also helps weight loss and improves insulin sensitivity to manage blood sugar levels.
- Swimming: If you are looking for fun and low-impact exercise, swimming is the best option. It improves joint health and promotes healthy weight loss. People at risk of developing diabetes or have diabetes should swim to manage blood sugar levels.
Any form of exercise can help lose weight and manage blood sugar levels. You can start with a low-impact exercise to let your body gets into the routine of exercising.
Walking, cycling, running, weight lifting, yoga, pilates, and swimming are some exercises that help weight loss. People aiming to shed body weight should exercise regularly to see the results on their bodies.
Being overweight or obese can cause many health problems, including increased blood sugar levels. If you aim to manage your blood sugar levels or avoid diabetes, keep your body weight in a healthy range. Weight loss also helps maintain the BMI of your body which improves insulin resistance and treats diabetes.
Also Read: How to Lower Blood Sugar?
Can I take some medicines for weight loss?
Taking medicines for weight loss is not a good idea in the long term. It may give you some side effects that can affect your health. Therefore, it is better to look for natural ways to weight loss. You can exercise, control your diet, and take some herbal or natural supplements for weight loss. Many natural supplements like cinnamon, fenugreek, garlic, etc., are available in your home kitchen to try. You can remain consistent with your natural weight loss regime to get the desired results on your body.
Can I reverse diabetes type-2 permanently?
You cannot cure diabetes, but you can reverse it. If you want to reverse diabetes type-2, you need to consult your doctor at the earliest. The doctor will help you with the right medications to prevent blood sugar spikes. In addition to this, the doctor will recommend you to switch to a healthy lifestyle for quick and long-lasting results. Switching to a healthy diet helps reduce the intake of carbs and improve the intake of fiber that helps manage blood sugar levels. Regular exercise also cuts down the body fat, makes you physically active, and manages blood sugar levels.
What is a diabetic belly?
Diabetes causes many health problems as it affects various organs in your body. When vague nerve, which controls how quickly your stomach gets emptied. If this nerve gets damaged, the food stays in your body for a longer time as the digestion process slows down. This condition is called gastroparesis and makes your belly diabetic. Anything you eat comes out through vomiting, and you will feel queasy. It alters your normal blood sugar levels as well.
How much weight should I lose to manage diabetes type-2?
Diabetes type-2 is incurable. However, it is possible to manage diabetes type-2 through some lifestyle changes. Another important factor that contributes to managing diabetes is weight loss. A healthy weight loss supports managing blood sugar levels. In many patients, sustainable weight loss of around 15 kg helps reverse diabetes. However, how much weight loss you should do depends on your body weight and health condition.
What are the best ways to lose weight?
Modification in your diet and improving your exercise routine promote weight loss. It helps you manage your blood sugar levels and improve overall health conditions. When you get rid of extra body fat, you look attractive and fit. It also helps treat various health issues more effectively.
Last Updated on by Dr. Damanjit Duggal
The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.