Last updated on February 2nd, 2023
Riomet OD 500 MG SR Tablet is an antidiabetic medication to control high blood glucose levels. It is the first ideal medication for individuals with type 2 diabetes. It is a condition where body fails to produce enough insulin or resists insulin.
Riomet 500 mg sr tablet helps in:
- Insulin production
- Reducing the excess blood glucose levels in the body
- Reduces the risk of diabetes-related complications. These are heart attack, blindness, kidney damage, and stroke.
Regular blood glucose monitoring is essential while consuming Riomet tablets. Riomet comprises Metformin hydrochloride as an active ingredient. Metformin falls under the class of medications known as biguanides. Diabetes is a medical condition in which the pancreas fails to make enough insulin. This causes a high level of sugar in the blood.
Riomet helps to reduce the blood sugar to normal level. It is an antihyperglycemic medicine employed in type 2 diabetics. This medicine also improves the glucose tolerance. In liver, Metformin suppresses hepatic gluconeogenesis. In gluconeogenesis, glycogen breaks down into glucose-1-phosphate and glycogen. Glycogenolysis is the breakdown of glycogen to glucose. It is accountable for reducing the blood sugar in diabetics.
Doctor decides upon the dose a person may take. This depends upon age, other medicines a person is taking and whether a person has kidney or liver problems. Riomet is not safe for breastfeeding mothers. Common side effects of this drug include nausea, vomiting, headache, and abdominal pain. Riomet is appropriate for children and adolescents above 10 years.
Also Read: Resistant Starch and Diabetes
How Riomet OD works?
Riomet reduces glucose absorption from the intestine. It also reduces the production of glucose in the liver. And in turn, improves the activity of insulin in the body. Hence, it helps in decreasing the levels of blood glucose.
Uses of Riomet OD 500 mg tablet
Type 2 diabetes
Diabetes occurs because of an excess blood sugar levels in the body. This causes a reduction in the insulin production. Insulin is the hormone produced by the pancreas. Insulin is responsible for the conversion of sugar from the food into energy. Diabetes is of two forms: type 1 (no insulin production) and type 2 (insulin resistance). Riomet reduces the blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetics (adults and children).
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
PCOS is a hormonal disorder. In this condition, extension of ovaries occurs. Development of cysts in the outer ovarian lining also occurs. This takes place in females of reproductive age owing to hormonal imbalance or prolonged menstrual cycle. Riomet OD also sometimes treats Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
Directions for use
- Take Riomet OD tablet as per doctor’s instructions.
- The dose varies over time depending upon the therapeutic response and clinical condition.
- Regular blood glucose monitoring is important during treatment with Riomet OD.
- A person must always carry a sugar candy. This counteracts unanticipated reduction of blood glucose levels.
- Always maintain a strict exercise and diet routine for improved results.
- Take Riomet OD tablet with or after a meal. It would avoid a person from having side effects like digestive problems. Avoid crushing or chewing the medication. Swallow with a glass of water.
Also Read: Sitagliptin and Metformin: Know the Uses, Side Effects, Dosage & Interactions
Side effects of Riomet OD 500 MG Tablet
Major and minor side effects of Riomet tablet may include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Swollen joints
- Chest uneasiness
- Runny nose
Rare side effects:
- Lactic acidosis
- Low vitamin B12 levels in the blood
- Inflammation of the liver
- Skin redness (erythema), irritation or a prickly rash (hives)
Also Read: How to Lower Your Blood Sugar Levels Naturally
Contraindications of Riomet OD 500 MG Tablet
- Avoid consuming Riomet OD 500 mg tablet if a person is hypersensitive to it. Look for an instant medical help if a person observes any allergic reactions. These are inflammation, skin rash, serious dizziness, and breathing problems.
- Avoid Riomet for use if a person has metabolic acidosis. It is the electrolyte disorder with altered acid-base balance in the body. Also, it might deteriorate a person’s condition.
- Do not consume Riomet OD tablet 500 mg if a person has severe kidney impairment. This results in changes in serum creatinine levels or irregular creatinine clearance. As, it might deteriorate the health condition owing to severe side effects.
- Avoid the use of Riomet OD during pregnancy. As, it may have an impact on the foetus. Thus, a physician might recommend a safer option with similar therapeutic effect depending upon clinical condition.
- It is unknown whether Riomet passes into breast milk. Thus, it is not safe for use during lactation. Doctor might recommend a safer option based on clinical condition.
- Metformin might cause damage to the kidneys when used in renal patients. Close monitoring of kidney function is necessary.
- Discontinue the use of Riomet OD in individuals exposed to stressful conditions. These may include fever, surgeries, trauma (severe injury), or accidents. It might not be effective in regulating blood glucose levels in these conditions.
- Riomet OD is not safe for use in individuals having type 1 diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is a condition where the pancreas produces slight or no insulin. Since, the medication is not efficacious in treating such cases.
- Riomet OD might result in diarrhoea during the initial phase of therapy. It typically subsides by itself. Yet, if the issue continues for a longer duration, visit a doctor instantly.
Substitutes for Riomet OD 500 MG Tablet
|Medicine Brand Name||Manufacturer|
|Mefomin 500 SR Tablet||Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd|
|Glycomet 500 SR Tablet||USV Ltd|
|Glyciphage SR 500mg Tablet||Franco-Indian Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd|
|Gluconorm SR 500mg Tablet||Lupin Ltd|
|Metsmall 500 Tablet SR||Dr Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd|
|Bigomet SR 500 Tablet||Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd|
|Dibeta SR Tablet||Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd|
|Xmet-SR Tablet||Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd|
|Walaphage -SR 500 Tablet||Wallace Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd|
|Metadoze-IPR 500 Tablet SR||Biocon|
|Metlong 500 Tablet SR||Panacea Biotec Ltd|
|Sugamet SR 500 Tablet||Zydus Cadila|
|Metaday 500 Tablet SR||Wockhardt Ltd|
|Zomet SR Tablet||Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd|
|Recemin 500mg Tablet SR||Bharti Life Sciences|
Try not missing a dose of Riomet OD 500 mg Tablet. In case of a missed dose, avoid adding it up to the next dose.
Reach the medical department instantly or contact a doctor in case of an overdose.
Also Read: Diabetic Ulcers and Sores
All medications interact in a different way for person to person. A person must check all the possible interactions with doctor before initiating any medication.
Interaction with alcohol
Avoid the intake of alcohol while treatment with Riomet OD. This may result in severe side effects such as decreased glucose levels, dizziness etc.
Interaction with medications
- Iodinated Contrast Media
Lack of Vitamin B12
Riomet tablet must be used with care in case of vitamin B12 deficiency. It might deteriorate the condition. This may need a suitable B12 supplementation and dose adjustments depending upon clinical condition.
Take Riomet OD with caution if a person has heart problems or blood vessel problems. This might be because of an increased risk of serious side effects. Close monitoring of vital signs and heart function is important.
Riomet OD may bring about lactic acidosis if a person has:
- septicemia (blood poisoning)
- kidney and heart problems.
Thus, close monitoring of sugar levels, heart, liver, and kidney function are vital.
Take Riomet OD with caution if a person has hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels). Close monitoring of glucose levels is also vital.
Also Read: Neonatal Hypoglycemia – Things You Need to be Aware About
Is it safe to give Riomet OD during breast-feeding?
It is unknown whether Riomet passes into breast milk. Thus, is not suggested for use during breastfeeding. Thus, the concerned doctor might advise a safer alternative. This alternative has a similar therapeutic effect depending upon a person’s clinical condition.
Is it safe to use Riomet during pregnancy?
Use of Riomet tablet is not safe during pregnancy. It might affect the foetus. Thus, the concerned doctor might advise a safer alternative. This alternative has a similar therapeutic effect depending upon a person’s clinical condition.
Is Riomet an addictive medicine?
No, it is not a habit-forming medicine.
Can I take alcohol with Riomet OD 500 mg SR?
Avoid the intake of alcohol while treatment with Riomet. This interaction results in some severe side effects like drowsiness or reduced blood glucose levels.
How long do the effects of Riomet last?
The duration for which Riomet shows its effect in the body is 8 hours.
How long does Riomet OD’s effects last?
The effect of Riomet tablet lasts within 3 hours of its consumption.
Last Updated on by Dr. Damanjit Duggal
The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.