Last updated on February 4th, 2022
Bigomet SR 500 Tablet is an anti-diabetic medication. It helps in regulating the levels of blood glucose. And, hence prevent severe diabetes complications. Also, it is helpful for treating menstruation-related disorder. This is known as Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) in females. Bigomet helps to normalize the menstruation cycle. It restores the body’s hormonal balance, reduces glucose levels and promotes ovulation. Bigomet SR comprises Metformin hydrochloride as an active drug. It falls under the class of anti-diabetic drugs known as biguanides. Metformin:
- decreases the glucose production by the liver
- decreases the intestinal absorption of glucose
- improves the insulin sensitivity.
Take Bigomet SR Tablet with food. This helps to avoid nausea and abdominal pain. A person must take it regularly to attain most benefits. Also, the medication benefits when taken at the same time each day. A person must not stop taking this drug unless doctor suggests. Lifestyle plays a key role in diabetes control. Thus, a person must remain on the diet and exercise as per the doctor’s recommendation. It is also important to monitor the glucose levels while taking Bigomet.
Bigomet SR 500 treats type 2 diabetes when diet and exercise fail to control glucose levels. This medication is the first-line therapy for type 2 diabetics. Bigomet SR:
- restores the body’s reaction to insulin
- reduces the amount of blood sugar produced by the liver
- delays the glucose absorption by the stomach or intestines.
Bigomet SR 500 acts best when combined with a healthy lifestyle. These lifestyle changes may include:
- weight loss if a person is obese (BMI >25)
- consumption of fewer calories (low fat and sugary food)
- physically active (at least 150 min of activity every week).
How Bigomet SR 500 Tablet works?
Metformin acts by decreasing the amount of glucose released by liver into the blood. Insulin works by reducing sugar production in the liver. It also reduces the glucose absorption from the intestine after consuming food. Also, it improves the sensitivity of the body organs and muscles towards insulin. As a result, Bigomet helps to control the blood glucose level.
Uses of Bigomet SR 500 Tablet
Treatment of type 2 diabetes. It is also known as non-insulin dependent diabetes.
Benefits of Bigomet
Bigomet SR 500 plays a key role in:
- managing diabetes
- attaining good control of blood glucose levels
- delaying the absorption of glucose
- increasing the insulin sensitivity in the body.
Bigomet SR 500 does not lead to a sudden lowering of the blood sugar level. Also, it does not cause significant hypoglycaemia. Bigomet does not cause weight gain unlike other diabetes therapies. It may lead to a modest weight loss. In the prediabetic state, Bigomet is the most advisable treatment. The medication also aids to avoid serious diabetes complications. These may include:
- kidney damage
- loss of sensation in hands and feet or,
- loss of foot.
Bigomet SR also assists to lower down the chance of having a heart attack or stroke.
Bigomet SR 500 Tablet Dosage and how to use?
- DOSE is the amount of the drug that exerts its therapeutic effect at that amount.
- The initial dose of Bigomet SR is one tablet twice daily.
- The correct dosage depends on the patient and the condition being treated.
- Do not adjust the dose without the approval of a doctor.
- Take Bigomet SR tablet exactly as per the doctor’s instructions.
- Consume the medication with or after a meal. It helps in avoiding the risk of side effects like digestion problems.
- Avoid chewing or crushing the medicine. Swallow the tablet with a glass of water.
Side effects of Bigomet SR 500 Tablet
The most common side effects that may occur with Bigomet SR are gastrointestinal (GI) complications. These include nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. A person can easily escape these problems if he or she takes Bigomet with food. Side effects also tend to weaken over time. Bigomet may also result in side effects such as:
- loss of appetite
- abdominal pain
- sour mouth taste
- lactic acidosis (too much lactic acid in the blood).
Substitutes for Bigomet SR 500 Tablet
|Medicine Brand Name||Manufacturer|
|Mefomin 500 SR Tablet||Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd|
|Glycomet 500 SR Tablet||USV Ltd|
|Glyciphage SR 500mg Tablet||Franco-Indian Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd|
|Gluconorm SR 500mg Tablet||Lupin Ltd|
|Metsmall 500 Tablet SR||Dr Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd|
|Riomet OD 500mg Tablet SR||Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd|
|Dibeta SR Tablet||Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd|
|Xmet-SR Tablet||Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd|
|Walaphage -SR 500 Tablet||Wallace Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd|
|Metadoze-IPR 500 Tablet SR||Biocon|
|Metlong 500 Tablet SR||Panacea Biotec Ltd|
|Sugamet SR 500 Tablet||Zydus Cadila|
|Metaday 500 Tablet SR||Wockhardt Ltd|
|Zomet SR Tablet||Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd|
|Recemin 500mg Tablet SR||Bharti Life Sciences|
Bigomet SR 500 Interactions
Bigomet SR interacts with the following class of drugs. It alters its effectiveness:
- Oral contraceptives
- Anti-fungals like Ketoconazole
- NSAIDs (anti-inflammatory drugs)
- Antibiotics like Rifamipicin
- Corticosteroids such as Prednisolone
- MAO inhibitors like Isocarboxazid
- Diuretics like Hydrochlorothiazide, Furosemide
Bigomet SR reduces the blood sugar. Inform the concerned doctor about all other medications a person takes.
Contraindications of Bigomet SR 500 Tablet
- If you have a hypersensitivity to Metformin, do not take Bigomet SR.
- If you ever had or have any heart, or pituitary disease, do not take this drug.
- Bigomet SR tablet is unsafe for a type 1 or insulin-dependent diabetes patient.
- If a person has alcoholism problem, stay away from the use of Bigomet.
- Bigomet is also not safe for a patient with a history of heart disorders like stroke or heart attack.
- It is wise to monitor blood pressure regularly.
- People with serious kidney or liver dysfunction shouldn’t take Bigomet tablet.
- People with a problem of heart failure must also avoid this medicine.
- Do not take this drug if a person has history of liver or kidney disease. Always monitor liver and kidney functions regularly.
- It is not safe for people 80 or older. As, kidney function tends to decrease with age. A great caution is important while giving Bigomet to aged population. Always contact a physician before.
- Avoid alcohol while consuming Bigomet SR 500.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding females must not take this drug.
- Patients with acute myocardial infarction must strictly avoid Bigomet.
- Metabolic acidosis is excessive acid in blood. Avoid consuming Bigomet 500 if a person has any signs like headache, vomiting. It might worsen the condition.
- Bigomet might not be effective in regulating the blood glucose level in case of type 1 diabetes. Insulin injections are essential to treat such conditions.
- Bigomet SR is not safe for use under stress-inducing conditions. These may include fever, trauma, operations, or accidents. Discuss with a doctor about continuing this drug in such cases.
- Bigomet 500 mg is not safe for use in children. Since, the safety and efficacy data is not available.
- Bigomet SR 500 also lowers down the risk of diabetic complications like heart attacks.
- Possibilities of weight gain and low blood glucose are smaller with Bigomet than other diabetes drugs.
- Hypoglycemia might occur when given with other diabetes drugs, alcohol or on missing a meal. Carry a glucose source for instant relief.
- Bigomet tablet might also result in a rare and serious condition called lactic acidosis. It is an excess of lactic acid in the blood.
Overdose of Bigomet SR
Too much intake of Bigomet SR may lead to vitamin B12 deficiency. And, this might result in:
- pale skin
- breathing problems.
If, by chance, any person misses out a dose of this tablet, consume it as soon as possible. And, if it is the time for next dosage, he or she may omit the missed dose. Never consume two doses to make up for a skipped one.
Diet & Lifestyle Precautions
- Do a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity every week. Or, a person can do 75 minutes of high-intensity exercise each week.
- Lose weight progressively to attain a healthy BMI (18.5 to 24.9).
- Replace refined carb-containing foods with whole grain foods. Also, increase the intake of fruits, veggies and other fiber-enriched foods.
- Avoid taking an excess of stress. It might increase a person’s blood glucose level. A person can practice certain stress management techniques. These can be mindfulness, yoga, or meditation to control stress-related blood glucose changes.
- Keep the blood pressure within normal limits i.e., 140/90. It decreases the risk of cardiovascular disorders in diabetes patients.
Can a breast-feeding mother take Bigomet?
Taking Bigomet is considered safe in case of breastfeeding. This would not affect the infant.
Can Bigomet be given to a pregnant female?
Bigomet tablet is generally not advised during pregnancy. Since, it may exert significant side effects on the foetus. Yet, doctor might suggest a safer option with similar therapeutic effect based upon the clinical condition.
Is Bigomet SR a habit-forming drug?
No, it is not an addictive medication.
How long does the effects of Bigomet last?
Bigomet 500 mg stays active in body for nearly 4 days.
How long does it take for Bigomet SR 500 to take effect?
The time duration required for Bigomet to exert its effects is roughly 7 to 8 hours after its intake.
Last Updated on by Dr. Damanjit Duggal
The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.