Last updated on August 1st, 2022
Metsmall 500 tablet is an anti-diabetic drug. It is a biguanide diabetes medication and treats diabetes. It reduces the raised blood sugar level in type 2 diabetic people. Type 2 diabetes is a chronic or lifetime problem. Diabetes has an impact on the way body processes sugar. Type 2 diabetic patients either fail to produce enough insulin or they have insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is when insulin produced is incapable of performing its function in the body. Middle-aged or older people are more prone to type 2 diabetes. Hence, it is also termed as adult-onset diabetes.
Metsmall 500 Tablet SR
Metsmall 500 is recommended for type 2 diabetes when diet and exercise fail to control glucose levels. It is the first-line therapy for type 2 diabetics. This medication:
- restores the body’s response to insulin
- reduces the amount of blood glucose produced by the liver
- delays the glucose absorption by the stomach or intestines.
Also, Metsmall 500 has off-label uses in females with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). In this, the medicine normalizes the menstruation cycle. It helps to:
- restore the body’s hormonal balance
- reduces the blood glucose levels
- stimulates ovulation.
Generally, Metsmall 500 does not result in side effects. Common side effects may involve nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, or a metallic taste in the mouth. Rarely, it results in a condition known as lactic acidosis. It when too much lactic acid accumulates in the body. Lactic acidosis present various signs like drowsiness, muscle pain etc. Glucose level might reduce while on Metsmall tablet with heavy exercise, having alcohol, or missing meals. Discussion with a doctor is a must about any of the health conditions stated above.
Metsmall tablet works best when given with healthy lifestyle. These changes might include:
- Weight management if a person has a BMI >25
- Consumption of fewer calories (low fat and sugary food)
- Higher physical activity (at least 150 min of activity every week).
Metsmall 500 Uses and Benefits
Metsmall plays a key role in managing diabetes. It also helps to attain a good control of blood sugar levels. The medicine helps to delay the absorption of sugar. It increases the insulin sensitivity in the body. Metsmall does not result in a sudden glucose level decrease. It also does not result in a significant hypoglycaemia. Contrary to other anti-diabetic medicines like sulfonylureas or insulin, Metsmall 500 fails to cause weight gain. However, it may result in modest weight loss. In the prediabetic state, Metsmall tablet is the only advisable treatment. Also, this medicine helps to prevent severe diabetes complications. These may include:
- kidney damage (Diabetic Nephropathy)
- blindness (Diabetic Retinopathy)
- loss of sensation in your hands and feet (Diabetic Neuropathy)
- even loss of foot.
It also helps to lower the chances of heart disorders like heart attack or stroke.
Directions for Use
Do not take Metsmall 500 unless recommended by a doctor. Take Metsmall 500 tablet with meals. This helps in decreasing stomach or bowel side effects. Doctor would advise on the frequency of intake depending upon the medical condition. Swallow the tablet with a full glass of water.
Store Metsmall 500 in a cool and dry place. Keep the medicine away from sunlight and moisture.
Side Effects of Metsmall 500 Tablet
- Loss of appetite
- Digestive issues
- Loose stools
- Abdominal pain
Few diabetic patients consuming Metsmall might develop lactic acidosis. Hence, liver and kidney must be properly functional. Due to this, excess of lactic acid eliminates from the blood. A person must not consume Metformin in case of kidney disease. That too, kidney disease while diagnosis by a blood test. Metsmall 500 can reduce the levels of vitamin B-12. Thus, a person must try to have blood test annually. Metsmall 500 Tablet SR when combined with insulin may intensely reduce the blood sugar level. Hence, a doctor must always lower the dose of insulin.
Metsmall 500 Tablet: Drug Interactions
Drug-Drug Interaction: Metsmall 500 Tablet interacts with:
- anti-depressant (bupropion)
- anti-epileptic drugs (topiramate, lamotrigine)
- medicines for heart problems (digoxin)
- antibiotics (cephalexin, ciprofloxacin)
- anti-HIV drugs (dolutegravir)
- saliva reducing drugs (glycopyrrolate)
- medicines for acidity (cimetidine)
- iodinated X-ray contrast agents
- medications for glaucoma
Other drug interactions may add to an increased low blood glucose. These mediicnes may include:
- pain relievers (aspirin)
- anti TB drugs (prothionamide)
- growth hormones (pegvisomant)
- sex hormones (androgens)
- anti-oxidant (alpha-lipoic acid)
- other antidiabetic drugs.
Drug-Food Interaction: Consumption of too much alcohol may increase the chance of a life-threatening problem, Lactic Acidosis. Hence, avoid the intake of liquor with Metsmall tablet.
Drug-Disease Interaction: Individuals having these problems must avoid Metsmall:
- heart issues (congestive heart failure and myocardial infarction)
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
Metsmall 500 Tablet Substitutes
|Medicine Brand Name||Manufacturer|
|Zomet 500mg Tablet SR||Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd|
|Bdid 500mg Tablet SR||Zyphar’s Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd|
|Glycomet 500 SR Tablet||USV Ltd|
|Glyciphage SR 500mg Tablet||Franco-Indian Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd|
|Gluconorm SR 500mg Tablet||Lupin Ltd|
|Bigomet SR 500 Tablet||Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd|
|Mefomin 500 SR Tablet||Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd|
|Riomet OD 500mg Tablet SR||Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd|
|Dibeta SR Tablet||Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd|
|Xmet-SR Tablet||Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd|
|Walaphage -SR 500 Tablet||Wallace Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd|
|Metadoze-IPR 500 Tablet SR||Biocon|
|Metlong 500 Tablet SR||Panacea Biotec Ltd|
|Sugamet SR 500 Tablet||Zydus Cadila|
|Metaday 500 Tablet SR||Wockhardt Ltd|
|Zomet SR Tablet||Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd|
|Recemin 500mg Tablet SR||Bharti Life Sciences|
|Metsurge 500 SR Tablet||Obsurge Biotech Ltd|
|Metchek 500mg Tablet SR||Indoco Remedies Ltd|
|Vidmet-SR 500 Tablet||Dios Lifesciences Pvt Ltd|
|Metfortal SR 500 Tablet||Talent India|
|Bigovas 500mg Tablet SR||Pulse Pharmaceuticals|
|Metanorm 500mg Tablet SR||Elder Pharmaceuticals Ltd|
|Glutamet 500mg Tablet SR||Cachet Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd|
|Midamet 500 Tablet SR||Midas Healthcare Ltd|
|Utiglu 500mg Tablet SR||Palsons Derma|
|Asugar 500mg Tablet SR||Colinz Laboratories Ltd|
|Hyformin 500mg Tablet SR||Hygen Healthcare Pvt Ltd|
|Redidrop 500mg Tablet SR||Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd|
|Fagomet 500mg Tablet SR||MSN Laboratories|
- Take Metsmall with caution in case of a history of liver problems. The dose might require a dose adjustment by a doctor.
- Avoid Metsmall in case of breast-feeding or if female is planning to breastfeed baby.
- It is good not to take alcohol along with Metsmall to avoid disagreeable side effects like lactic acidosis.
- Metsmall is not safe for a person with kidney problems. The dose may need adjustment depending on the renal functions. Metsmall 500 is not good for a person with severe kidney disease. Regular monitoring of kidney function tests is vital for a person taking Metsmall tablet.
- Metsmall 500 Tablet SR monotherapy does not result in hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar). Thus, it does not have effect on the ability to drive or use machines.
- Metsmall 500 is not safe in pregnancy. Yet, a doctor might prescribe it to female during pregnancy. A female must never take Metsmall without doctor’s advice.
Diet & Lifestyle Advise
- Do at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity or 75 minutes of high-intensity exercise each week.
- Keep the blood pressure within healthy limits. As this lowers the risk of cardiovascular diseases in diabetic people.
- Losing weight slowly helps to attain a healthy BMI (18.5 to 24.9).
- Replacing refined carbs with whole grain foods also helps. Also, enhancing the intake of fruits, veggies, and other fiber foods aids in this.
- Avoid excessive stress as it elevates the blood sugar level. Practice yoga, meditation to control stress-associated blood sugar changes.
- Choose low-fat dairy products.
- Lower down the intake of saturated fats.
- Opt for omega 3 fatty acid-containing oils for daily cooking.
- Keep consuming Metsmall 500 even if a person believes that their blood sugar levels are under control. If a person missed a dose, avoid a larger dose, talk to a doctor instead.
- It is important to take short frequent meals, avoid prolonged fasting while on Metsmall. Beware of low blood glucose signs such as:
- sweating, dizziness
- intense thirst
- dry mouth
- dry skin
- frequent urination etc.
- Whenever a person experience any of above signs, immediately take 5-6 candies or glucose biscuits or honey/sugar. Ensure all these items handy, particularly during long travels.
- It is good to inform the physician about any underlying conditions. These can be prior heart attack, kidney disease or liver disease, alcohol consumption. And, then only take Metsmall by doctor’s prescription.
- Avoid intake of alcohol while on Metsmall. This increases the risk of hypoglycaemia and lactic acidosis.
- Quit smoking.
- Lower down the intake of carb-rich foods. These are potato, rice, mangoes, bread, sugar etc.
Remember, lifestyle changes play a vital role in blood glucose control. Reversing type 2 diabetes is very much possible now. It needs healthy eating, meal planning, as well as staying fit. If a person can do all these things, he or she can be able to free themselves from diabetes and its complications.
Even though the solution is sounding easy, it is not at all easy. This is why Breathe Well-being is here to get you going. More than 50% of diabetic patients have reversed their Type 2 Diabetes after losing just 22 pounds of weight. This is very thrilling, isn’t it! Though, losing weight is challenging and can be frightening. Even more, problems can be keeping the weight off in a lasting state. That is where Breathe Well-being Diabetes Reversal Plan can help and guide you through the process.
Type 2 Diabetes is no longer a permanent enduring condition. Reversal of this diabetes may lead to a considerable improvement in the standard of living of a person and can help theatrically lessen one’s medical costs. The research-based diabetes reversal program at Breathe Well-being can help you lose the weight to reverse Type 2 Diabetes, meaningfully improve your quality of life and lower down your medical costs!
Does metformin have an impact on my periods?
Metformin associates with the improvements in menstrual cycle regularity and hormonal patterns. That too, in normal weight and obese females with PCOS on Metformin therapy for 24 months. All the 4 BMI/testosterone subgroups establish similar rates of attaining normal menses.
Can Metformin result in twins?
The additive effects of clomiphene and metformin can increase higher-order multiple pregnancies. And, so females must be counselled about this risk.
Is Metsmall and Metformin similar?
Metsmall 500 mg tablet is an anti-diabetic medicine. It comprises Metformin as its active drug. This medications aids to reduce the raised blood sugar levels.
When to take Metsmall 500?
Take Metsmall 500 with food to avoid nausea and abdominal pain. A person can take it regularly and at the same time each day. This helps in giving the most benefit.
Last Updated on by Dr. Damanjit Duggal
The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.