Table of Contents
- 1 What is Insulin Mixtard 30/70?
- 2 How to Use Mixtard 30/70?
- 3 How Does Insulin Mixtard act?
- 4 Uses of Insulin Mixtard 30/70
- 5 Benefits of Insulin Mixtard Suspension for Injection
- 6 Side effects of Insulin Mixtard 30/70
- 7 How has Insulin Mixtard been studied?
- 8 Is there any beneficial effect of Mixtard during the studies?
- 9 Quick Tips
- 10 FAQs:
- 10.0.1 Can Mixtard be given to a female during breastfeeding?
- 10.0.2 Is it safe to give this medicine during pregnancy?
- 10.0.3 How long do the effects of Mixtard injectable persist?
- 10.0.4 Is Insulin Mixtard 30 70 a habit-forming drug?
- 10.0.5 Is it safe to drink alcoholic drinks with this medication?
- 10.0.6 How long does it take for Insulin Mixtard to exert its action?
- 11 References:
Insulin Mixtard 30/70 is a combination of two medications, a short-acting as well as an intermediate-acting type of insulin. It can be used for treating both types of diabetes (type 1 and 2) to improve blood glucose control. It can be given to both adults and children.
Mixtard 30/70 is generally recommended in combination with other diabetes medications. A physician or nurse can teach about the most appropriate way of injecting Mixtard suspension under the skin. This medication should be taken 15 minutes prior to a meal or within 20 minutes after going for a meal. Don’t stop its use unless a healthcare provider asks to.
Mixtard is only part of a treatment plan that must also involve a healthy diet, regular physical activity, as well as weight management as per the doctor’s recommendation. It is very important to keep a check on the blood glucose levels regularly, keep a check on the results and share them with a suitable physician. This is very essential in order to work out the right dose of the medication for the patient.
What is Insulin Mixtard 30/70?
Mixtard is a suspension for injection consisting of an active ingredient, human insulin. It comes in the form of vials, pre-filled pens (InnoLet or FlexPen), or cartridges (Penfill). Mixtard also is composed of both fast-acting (soluble) as well as long-acting (isophane) insulin:
- Mixtard 30: soluble insulin 30% and isophane insulin 70%;
- Mixtard 40: soluble insulin 40% and isophane insulin 60%;
- Mixtard 50: soluble insulin 50% and isophane insulin 50%.
Insulin Mixtard 30 70 injection offers a rapid in addition to a longer duration effect, thereby assisting in maintaining the levels of blood glucose. This medication can be used with other anti-diabetic drugs in people with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Insulin should be injected at least 15 mins prior to or within 20 min of initiating the meal. A person should never omit the meal or the dose of insulin. Continue rotating the position of insulin administration. When a person is on Mixtard 30 70, a sugar or glucose candy must be kept handy as it is found to reduce the levels of blood glucose (hypoglycemia) as its common ill effect.
How to Use Mixtard 30/70?
Mixtard is injected under the skin, in the areas of the thigh, deltoid area (shoulder), abdominal wall (front of the waistline), as well as the gluteal area (buttocks). The injection site must be altered for each injection. Also, tests should be done for the patient’s blood sugar levels regularly in order to find the lowest effective dose. The normal recommended dose is between 0.3 and 1.0 international units (IU) per kilogram body weight in a day. Also, the injection is given half an hour before a meal. It is generally given one time or two times per day when there is a requirement of fast primary effect in combination with a more long-lasting effect.
How Does Insulin Mixtard act?
Diabetes is a medical condition in which the body fails to form an adequate amount of insulin to control the blood sugar or when the body fails to utilize the insulin in an effective manner. Mixtard is a replacement insulin that acts similarly to the insulin produced by the pancreas.
The active component in Mixtard, human insulin, is formed by a method called recombinant technology. In this method, the production of insulin occurs by yeast cells into which a gene (DNA) has been introduced. And this makes them capable of forming insulin. Mixtard is also composed of insulin in two forms namely, a soluble form, which acts rapidly (within half an hour of injection) as well as an ‘isophane’, form which gets absorbed gradually throughout the day. Due to this, Mixtard is longer-acting insulin. The replacement insulin works similarly to naturally formed insulin and helps the sugar to get into the cells from the bloodstream. The signs and complications of diabetes can be lowered by regulating the levels of blood sugar.
Uses of Insulin Mixtard 30/70
- The injection is used to treat diabetes mellitus (Type 1 & Type 2)
Benefits of Insulin Mixtard Suspension for Injection
Mixtard 30 70 is composed of an intermediate-acting as well as a short-acting type of insulin. In combination, they make sure that fast and consistent glucose control occurs. This assists in controlling the blood glucose levels for a complete day. It can be given as an injection and the doctor or nurse will train him or her about the right way to inject it. Management of blood sugar levels is an indispensable part of managing diabetes. If a person can control the level, he or she will decrease the risk of getting any of the severe diabetes complications including eye damage, kidney damage, nerve issues, as well as loss of limbs. Using this medication often together with proper diet and exercise will help a person to live a normal, healthy life.
Side effects of Insulin Mixtard 30/70
Many ill effects do not need any medical attention and vanish as the person’s body adjusts to the medication. Consult with one’s physician if they continue or if he or she is worried about them. The common side effects can be:
- Allergic reaction at the injection site
- Rash and edema
- Weight gain
- Lipodystrophy (skin thickening or pits at the site of injection)
Also, the most common Mixtard side effect is low blood glucose levels (hypoglycemia). In order to prevent this, it’s vital to always inject the right dosage of the drug only, take regular meals, as well as monitor the levels of blood sugar frequently. Intake of too much alcohol might also bring about a fall in blood glucose levels. Other side effects may involve reactions at the injection site such as inflammation or redness. Few individuals may also gain weight while using insulin. In addition, the patient might also observe a rash, edema (inflammation), or irritation while using this medication.
How has Insulin Mixtard been studied?
This form of insulin has been studied in a total of 294 patients having type-1 diabetes. In this condition, the pancreas fails to form insulin, as well as in type-2 diabetes, the body is incapable of using this insulin effectively. Approximately 1/3rd of the patients had type-1 diabetes and the remaining had type-2 diabetes. The study evaluated Mixtard 30 to a comparable combination but produced by making use of an insulin analog (insulin aspart). Also, the research study evaluated the level of a substance in the blood named glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) post 12 weeks, which provides a signal of control over the levels of blood sugar.
Is there any beneficial effect of Mixtard during the studies?
It was found that Mixtard led to a reduction in the HbA1c levels, signifying that blood sugar levels had been regulated to a comparable level to that seen with other insulin forms. Mixtard was found to be efficacious for both type-1 and type-2 diabetes.
Important safety information
- Avoid using Insulin Mixtard when a person has low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia).
- Also, it is important to inform the doctor if the person ever had renal, liver, or heart issues prior to initiating the treatment.
- Pregnant or lactating females must also discuss with their doctor as the dose might require a dose modification.
- Do not self-administer this medicine.
- It is not safe to have alcohol with Mixtard 30 70 Suspension for Injection.
- A person’s ability to drive might get affected if his or her blood glucose is too low or too high. Avoid driving if these signs occur.
- Injection underneath the skin of the abdomen can bring about a rapid absorption of the medicament as compared to other injection sites including the skin of the upper arms, buttocks, or thighs. Also, it is not recommended to massage the injection site post-injection.
- Take the medication 15 minutes prior to a meal or within 20 minutes after beginning with a meal.
- Change to another form of insulin must be performed only under strict medical supervision as it might need a modification in the dosage.
- Rotation of injection sites should be done in order to avoid the development of hard lumps at one site.
- Avoid sharing the insulin device with other individuals, even though the needle has been altered. Serious infection can be transferred or caught.
- Opened vials or cartridges must be kept at room temperature for up to 4 weeks, whereas unopened vials can be placed in the refrigerator at a temperature range of about 2°C to 8°C.
- Hypoglycemia (low levels of blood glucose) can take place when Mixtard is used along with other anti-diabetic drugs, alcohol, or missing or delaying a meal. A glucose source must always be carried along for getting instant relief.
- A risk management program must be developed in order to make sure that Mixtard is being used as safely as possible.
Mixtard 30/70 suspension for injection begins to reduce a diabetic patient’s blood glucose level about 30 minutes after he or she injects. The effect persists for around 24 hours. As with all insulins, the duration of action with this medicine also differs according to the form of insulin, their dose, blood flow, injection site, temperature as well as the level of physical activity. Mixtard 30/70 is a pre-mixed neutral suspension of insulin available in the composition 100 IU/mL. The injectable contains a neutral insulin injection (30%) as well as isophane insulin injection (70%). Other ingredients may include phenol, glycerol, sodium phosphate dihydrate, meta-cresol, protamine sulfate, zinc chloride, and water for injection. Sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid are also added that are basically for adjusting the pH of the injectable. Patients with diabetes might not be capable of using the sugar owing to the inadequate production of insulin or because of the body’s incapability of utilizing the insulin or both. This medication aids in using the sugar and regulating its levels in such patients. Patients are recommended to follow strict exercise as well as a diet regimen in the combination of this drug to attain the best possible effects.
Also, if you want to escape the potential side effects due to Insulin Mixtard 30 70 injection, Breathe Well-being is the right door for you. Breathe Well-being is a clinically proven Diabetes Reversal program that helps you to lose weight, lower down your blood sugar and avoid the risk of certain health complications. Breathe Well-being has inspired 10,000+ people to recover their blood glucose levels within limits and stop their medicines. It is completely customizable, has no strict restrictions, and is organic. This digital platform is customized to help you get the correct information regarding meal plans, fitness and stress mitigation, key factors in controlling type 2 diabetes.
Can Mixtard be given to a female during breastfeeding?
The use of insulin by lactating females is considered adequate. Breastfeeding females usually necessitate adjustments in insulin dosages.
Is it safe to give this medicine during pregnancy?
Mixtard is considered safe for use by pregnant females, but it should be used only when essential as the potential benefits balance the risks.
How long do the effects of Mixtard injectable persist?
The effect of this medication persists for an average duration of 24 hours.
Is Insulin Mixtard 30 70 a habit-forming drug?
No, it is not a habit-forming medicine.
Is it safe to drink alcoholic drinks with this medication?
Intake of alcohol is not suggested during treatment with Mixtard owing to the increased risk of both hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) as well as hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) based upon the quantity and incidence of alcohol intake. This might bring about serious side effects like drowsiness, enhanced thirst and hunger, intense weakness, and mood changes.
How long does it take for Insulin Mixtard to exert its action?
The effect of Mixtard suspension of injection can be observed within half an hour to one hour of administration of the dose.