Yoga is claimed to have been developed in India almost 5000 years ago and the term means ‘oneness with the universe’. Offering a wide range of health benefits, today yoga is practiced by people of all cultures, ages and nationalities, and it helps them take giant strides towards total fitness. If you haven’t tried it for yourself yet, here are a few reasons that will convince you to get started today.
Yoga for the Body
- Improves flexibility, loosens tight muscles and connective tissue, sustains joint cartilage, and improves posture.
- Builds muscle strength and protects your spinal cord.
- Twisting poses and relaxation exercises increase blood circulation and improve blood flow.
- Exercises like suryanamaskar and kapal bhati pranayama aid weight loss.
- Positions like the cow pose, gate pose and cobra pose expand lung capacity and improve respiration.
Yoga for the Mind and Soul
- Increases levels of serotonin in the body, thus reducing stress and anxiety.
- Helps you reduce distraction and increase focus, coordination and intuition.
- Different asanas and meditation techniques increase your sense of awareness.
- Poses like padahastasana help in improving memory.
- Yoga and meditation can improve mood levels and make you feel happier.
So many benefits! Can’t wait to get started? Head to your nearest yoga classes today to enjoy all these and much more.
The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.