Last updated on July 28th, 2023
Xigduo XR is another popular anti-diabetes prescription medicine that helps in controlling high blood sugar levels. Dapagliflozin and Metformin are the main ingredients of Xigduo XR. This medicine helps in reducing blood glucose levels by eliminating the excess glucose from your bloodstream through urine. Take this medicine after consultation with a doctor to have better glycemic control and avoid its side effects. Read Xigduo XR 10mg/1000mg Tablet Uses, Side Effects, Dosage with the price.
Diet and exercises are the crucial factors to maintain healthy blood sugar levels in your body. However, in many cases, the patients find it challenging to manage their diabetes with diet and exercise alone. They need diabetes medications as well to have better control of their uneven blood sugar levels. It helps them to avoid the severe side effects of high blood sugar levels. It also helps them to lead healthy lives. Many medications for diabetes control are available in the market. One of them is Xigduo XR.
What is Xigduo XR 10mg/1000mg Tablet?
Xigduo XR 10mg/1000mg Tablet is a combination medicine that helps to treat diabetes. The two medications that it contains are dapagliflozin and metformin as the main ingredient. These medications are stand-alone diabetes medications for treating diabetes. They work together as Xigduo XR medication to give the best results to control your blood sugar levels. When the treatment with both dapagliflozin and metformin is suitable for diabetes patients, Xigduo XR is used in adjunct with diet and exercise to control high blood sugar levels.
Working of Xigduo XR
Xigduo XR 10mg/1000mg tablet is a combination medicine. It contains dapagliflozin and uses metformin hydrochloride 1000 mg. Dapagliflozin controls high blood sugar levels. It works by eliminating extra glucose from your body through urine. Metformin works by lowering sugar production in the liver. Thus, it delays the glucose absorption from the intestine thereby, improving the sensitivity of your body. Together, they provide better control of your blood glucose levels and help in treating Type II diabetes.
Also Read: Diabetes can be Reversed Permanently
Dosage of Xigduo XR 10mg/1000mg Tablet
The doctor may titrate the dosage of Xigduo XR gradually based on the tolerability of your body and its effectiveness. Patients taking the evening dose of Metformin extended-release should skip the last dose before they start with Xigduo XR. Therefore, take Xigduo XR once a day in the morning with breakfast. The dosage should not exceed the prescription.
Xigduo XR is available in different strengths extended-release tablets. The different strengths of dapagliflozin/metformin extended-release tablets are:
- 2.5 mg/1000mg
Diabetes patients with renal impairment need to get their eGFR before starting metformin or any medicine containing metformin. They should monitor their eGFR at least once a year or more often if they are at a high risk of renal impairment. The daily dosage of dapagliflozin should not exceed 10 mg a day and metformin 2000 mg a day. Avoid overdosing on Xigduo XR otherwise, it can result in low blood sugar levels.
Also Read: How to Lower Blood Sugar?
Use of Xigduo XR 10mg/1000mg Tablet
Xigduo XR helps in controlling the high blood sugar levels in diabetes patients. It also reduces the risks of related complications. Many diabetes patients often suffer from heart diseases and kidney problems due to high blood glucose levels. If left untreated for a long time, it can prove to be fatal for them. Therefore, sugar patients should combine their diet and exercise program with Xigduo XR for better glycemic control in adults with type-2 diabetes.
Drug and Supplement interaction with Xigduo XR
Dapagliflozin and Metformin can interact with other drugs and some supplements. Therefore, Xigduo XR also interacts easily. It interacts with the drugs like amiloride, corticosteroids, cimetidine, diuretics, digoxin, morphine, procainamide, quinidine, ranitidine, trimethoprim, triamterene, vancomycin, phenothiazines, thyroid products, estrogens, oral contraceptives, phenytoin, nicotinic acid, sympathomimetics, calcium channel blocking drugs, and isoniazid. Many more drugs and supplements are there that interact with Xigduo XR.
Common side effects of Xigduo XR 10mg/1000mg Tablet?
Though Xigduo XR is safe for diabetes patients, still some patients may suffer from few mild side effects. Such side effects go off automatically within a day or two. The common side effects of Xigduo XR are:
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Sore throat
- Flu symptoms
- Back pain
- Increased urination
- Discomfort with urination
- Pain in extremities
- Common cold
You can take help from your doctor if the mentioned side effects get worse with time. Immediate consultation can give you instant relief.
Severe side effect of Xigduo XR 10mg/1000mg Tablet?
Lactic acidosis, urinary tract infection, and genital yeast infections in men and women are the serious but, rare side effects of Xigduo XR tablets. Therefore, take this prescription medicine only after consultation with the doctor.
Apart from the common side effects of Xigduo XR, there are some severe side effects that sugar patients taking Xigduo XR can experience. These are rare but cause serious health issues in the patients taking Xigduo XR.
- Lactic acidosis: It occurs when lactic acid builds up in your bloodstream. When oxygen levels become too low in the cells of your body where the metabolism takes place your body produces lactic acid. There are certain diseases and some medicine that causes lactic acidosis. Metformin is one of the medicines that can cause lactic acidosis but, in rare cases. XIGDUO XR has metformin therefore it may also result in lactic acidosis.
- Urinary tract infection (UTI): It is one of the severe side effects of Xigduo XR. Sometimes, urinary tract infections may lead to hospitalization in people taking Dapagliflozin. Since Dapagliflozin is one of the ingredients of Xigduo XR so UTI is a rare but severe side effect of Xigduo XR. Inform your doctor if you have any symptoms like burning sensation while passing urine, need to urinate often, pain in your lower pelvis, back pain, nausea, or vomiting.
- Genital yeast infections in men and women: Talk to your healthcare provider if you experience odor, itching, or redness in your genitals. Women may experience white or yellowish vaginal discharge while men may have foul-smelling discharge from the penis. Such patients should seek help from a doctor to avoid the seriousness of UTI.
Guidelines to take Xigduo XR
Taking the medication without a prescription or the guidelines can cause severe health issues in the patients. Therefore, follow the general guidelines and the instructions of your doctor to take this medicine correctly.
When a doctor prescribes Xigduo XR, the patients should follow the instructions carefully before taking this medicine. You can read all the directions to take Xigduo XR on the prescription level. Taking the medication according to the instructions or guidelines prevents its side effects and interactions. The doctor may change your dosage according to your blood sugar levels or body requirements. However, use Xigduo XR as directed. Some of the general guidelines to take Xigduo XR are:
- Always take Xigduo XR with meals. It prevents the problem of stomach upset.
- Avoid chewing, cutting, or breaking Xigduo XR tablet. You need to swallow it as a whole.
- Watch out for your symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels) because the dual action of Dapagliflozin and Metformin in Xigduo XR can result in low blood sugar levels.
- Some patients may also experience hyperglycemia (high blood sugar levels) after taking Xigduo XR. They should immediately call the doctor for quick medication to prevent blood sugar spikes.
- Stress, illness, alcohol use, surgery, or skipping meals can affect your blood glucose levels. Thus, ask your doctor first if you are changing the dosage or medication schedule.
Also Read: Glycomet sr 500
Safety Advice for Taking Xigduo XR 10mg/1000mg Tablet
Diabetes patients need to follow the safety advice for taking Xigduo XR tablets. It helps in avoiding the potential side effects. It also enables them to get the utmost benefits of this diabetes control medication.
Xigduo XR is a prescription medicine. You should always consult with your doctor before taking it. In addition to the consultation with a doctor, some safety advice for the patients taking Xigduo XR are:
- Taking alcohol may worsen the side effects like Lactic Acidosis. It may lead to a high risk of hypoglycemia in the patients.
- The doctors do not suggest Xigduo XR 10 mg/1000 mg Tablet for lactating women. It can pass through the breast milk and reaches the child. Thus, it may result in low blood sugar levels in the child.
- Dapagliflozin in Xigduo XR 10 mg/1000 mg Tablet is unsafe for pregnant women during the second and the third trimester of pregnancy. If you are pregnant or planning to conceive, do not take Xigduo XR. Ask your doctor to prescribe some other medicines for controlling blood sugar levels.
- Low blood sugar levels may affect your driving. Do not drive a vehicle or operate machinery after taking the Xigduo XR tablet. It may result in dropping your blood sugar levels and thus prove to be dangerous for you. You may experience blurry vision, dizziness, or drowsiness as the side effects of Xigduo XR.
- Xigduo XR is not advisable for diabetes patients with liver and kidney problems. If you have any history of liver disease, hepatic impairment, renal impairment, or kidney problems, inform your doctor. The doctor will ensure to not prescribe Xigduo XR 100 mg/1000 mg tablet to such diabetes patients.
Also Read: Normal Sugar Level In Human Body
Things to Discuss Before Taking Xigduo XR
Discussing your existing or pre-health conditions with your doctor or healthcare provider can save you from the side effects of Xigduo XR. It is also a better way to manage your diabetes healthily.
Diabetes patients need to discuss few things with their healthcare provider before starting Xigduo XR for controlling their blood sugar levels. It will help them to get the maximum benefit of this medication and avoid the related side effects. Diabetes patients should tell their healthcare provider about:
- Their allergy to Dapagliflozin and Metformin or, any of the ingredients in Xigduo XR.
- Severe kidney disease or if they are on dialysis.
- The problem of metabolic acidosis or diabetic ketoacidosis.
- If you ever had a bladder infection or urination problem.
- Problems with your pancreas including surgery.
- If you are on a low salt diet.
- Heart diseases.
- Low blood pressure.
Diabetes patients should also discuss any other health problems or the medications/supplements they are taking. Your healthcare provider should stop the prescription of Xiagduo XR immediately to avoid the severe consequences of this medication.
Do I need to take Xigduo XR tablets for a lifetime?
Once developed, diabetes remains with you throughout your life. Though you can manage your diabetes with diet, exercise, and diabetes medication, you cannot get rid of it. If your doctor prescribes Xigduo XR to manage your diabetes, you should not stop taking the medicine without the instructions of your doctor. Stopping it can result in too high or too low blood sugar levels that can be dangerous for your health.
Can I take Xigduo XR tablet at night?
Taking Xigduo XR tablet at night can result in stomach upset and digestion issues. Therefore, doctors prescribe Xigduo XR tablets in the morning with meals. You can have a light breakfast and keep on taking small meals to avoid stomach upset problems due to Xigduo XR.
Does Xigduo XR cause weight loss?
Xigduo XR is not a medicine for weight loss. However, the clinical trials have proved that many sugar patients taking Xigduo XR have lost at least 3% of their body weight. The result of weight loss varies from one person to another. If you are specifically looking for weight loss medications, take help from your doctor for other prescription medicine for weight loss.
What are the alternative medications of Xigduo XR available in the market?
There are alternate brands of Xigduo XR. Thus, if you cannot find Xigduo XR online or, the medical stores around you, you may take a tablet of the same dose from the alternate brands of Xigduo XR. However, it is significant to consult your doctor before taking any alternate medication of the prescribed ones. The alternate brands of Xigduo XR include Dapazol M 10/1000 Tablet ER, Udapa M 1000 XR Tablet, Dapaglyn M 1000 Tablet ER, Gluxit M 10 Forte Tablet ER, and Glucreta M 10/1000 Tablet ER.
Is it safe to take Xigduo XR twice a day?
The doctors recommend the dose of Xigduo XR once a day with a meal. Patients should not take this medication while they have an empty stomach. It may lead to low blood sugar levels. They need to ensure to swallow the Xigduo XR tablet as a whole. Chewing, crushing, or cutting the tablet may change its extended-release properties. Thus, it may not give you the same benefit that it should.
Last Updated on by Dr. Damanjit Duggal
The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.