Last updated on October 8th, 2021
If Containing Metformin as an active ingredient, Gluformin tablet is a very effective oral antidiabetic medication that belongs to the class of ‘Biguanide’. It is highly effective in lowering the heightened blood sugar levels when diet and physical activities are not able to control them.
Gluformin decreases the glucose absorption in the intestine and reduces the production of glucose from the liver, which results in better utilization of sugar by the blood cells. You must consume this medicine as prescribed by the health practitioner and after meals. Make sure it is kept out of the reach of children and children below 10 years of age are not advised to consume this drug. Stopping this medicine in an abrupt way can lead to complications.
While taking gluformin, you might suffer a few side effects including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, metallic taste, or taste disturbance. Most of the side effects go away on their own but in case the effects worsen, immediate medical help is needed.
Gluformin is a very effective antidiabetic medication belonging to a class of ‘Biguanide’, which helps in lowering the increased blood sugar levels when a healthy diet and physical activities are not enough.
- Do not consume this drug if you have a history of being allergic to Metformin or any of the ingredients available in Gluformin Tablet
- Make sure you do not take this drug if you already have any kind of kidney or liver related issues
- If you have conditions such as dehydration, infection, or dizziness, then you must ignore having gluformin
- It is advised not to have this drug if you suffer from acid-base imbalance or diabetes complications such as diabetic ketoacidosis
- If a patient is having other conditions such as heart issues, lung failure, liver disease, heart attack, he/she must refrain from using Gluformin
- Your doctor will also ask you not to take this medicine if you have dizziness or unconsciousness due to high or low blood sugar levels
You should avoid taking this medication if you have a history of being allergic to the medication or any of its ingredients. You should also avoid it if you already have any kidney or liver related diseases. You should also speak with your doctor if you experience anything unusual after taking this medication.
Possible Side Effects of Gluformin
There are many side effects a person can have after consuming Gluformin. In many cases, the side effects disappear on their own but in rare cases, you may have to take medical help. The possible side effects are mentioned below:
- Abdominal pain
- Stomach ache
- Loss of appetite
- Taste disturbance
The diabetes patients consuming this medication may develop some mild side-effects like nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, dizziness, abdominal pain, stomach ache, etc. These complications go away on their own but in some cases, the side effects may persist for a longer period of time. In this situation, you are advised to seek medical help.
Also read: Blood sugar unit converter
Precautions and Warnings Related to Gluformin
Gluformin is not advised to be consumed during pregnancy as it can potentially affect the unborn baby. It is advised to inform your doctor and take this drug only after the advice of your doctor. If you have been put on this drug, make sure to inform your medical practitioner if there are plans of getting pregnant. The doctor may consider changing your medication by suggesting an alternative.
Gluformin can pass into the breastmilk of the lactating mother. It happens in very small quantities which might not affect the health of the baby. But still, it is advised to consume this drug only after taking your doctor’s suggestion. This medication is recommended to be used with caution while nursing premature or nursing babies.
This drug has no effect on the consumer’s ability to drive. In case you feel dizziness or a decrease in blood sugar levels after taking this drug, you should avoid driving. In this condition, you can also consult your doctor to seek medical attention.
Do not consume alcohol while you have been on this medication. It increases the risk of lactic acidosis. Hence, you are advised to take medical help before consuming alcohol.
You are not advised to take this medication while being pregnant without consulting with a healthcare practitioner. You can take it while breastfeeding as it may not affect the health of the baby. The medication does not affect the patient’s ability to drive a vehicle. You are advised not to take alcohol while being on this medication.
General Warnings to Use Gluformin Tablet
Discuss with your doctor if:
- You have lactic acidosis
- You have altered kidney function
Talk to your doctor if:
- You experience symptoms of lactic acidosis like breathing difficulty, acute abdominal pain, muscle cramps and dehydration
- If You are experiencing imbalance in your kidney function
- You are suffering from a heart disease, including heart failure
- You are planning to get a surgery done
- If you are planning to get any contrast medium in the body
- Gluformin Tablet should not be given to any child below the age of 10 years
You are advised to consult with your doctor if you experience breathing difficulty, abdominal pain, dehydration, muscle cramps, etc. You should also inform your doctor if you have a heart disease. It is also not advised for children below the age of 10 years.
How Does Gluformin Tablet Work?
This medication decreases the glucose amount absorbed from the intestine, lowering the sugar production in the liver and raising the absorption of sugar by the cells of the body from the blood.
Directions to Use
This drug should be consumed as directed by your doctor. Consume it with one glass of water. It is advised to consume this drug at a fixed time for best results. Also, do not consume more than the prescribed limit.
Interactions of Gluformin Tablet
- Drugs like Verapamil, rifampicin, cimetidine, olaparib alter the effectiveness of Gluformin Tablet.
- Some drugs like Diuretics and thiazide, oral contraceptives, isoniazid, corticosteroids, phenytoin, nicotinic acid, calcium channel blockers, thyroid medicines, oestrogen tablets, ACE inhibitors, angiotensin II receptors antagonists, raises blood sugar levels and damages kidneys. It is advised that people who have a history of kidney disorder must not consume this medication.
- In case you are kept on other medications or herbal preparations or any supplements, then do not consume Gluformin to avoid interaction, Must discuss with your medical practitioner.
- Store Gluformin below 25°C.
- Keep it in a cool and dry place.
- Protect it from sunlight and moisture.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
Dosage of Gluformin Tablet
In case of Overdose
In rare cases, if the gluformin drug is overdosed, then the patient can feel symptoms like dizziness, drowsiness, breathlessness, vomiting, diarrhea, irregular heartbeat. If you feel more severe problems after taking too much of medicine, then you must contact your doctor on an immediate basis and immediately visit the nearest hospital.
In case of Missed Dose
It is suggested to take the missed dose as soon as you remember. You can only skip the dose, if it is the time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take both doses at a time, else you can get some side effects.
Here are some quick tips for you to follow while being on Gluformin to keep your blood sugar levels under control:
- Doctors prescribe Gluformin tablets to the diabetes patients to help them keep control over their blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of diabetes complications like heart diseases
- In comparison to other diabetes medications, gluformin does not pose any threat of weight gain or low blood sugar
- You may suffer from hypoglycemia or low blood sugar if you are taking Gluformin along with other antidiabetic medications, alcohol or skipping a meal. You are advised to keep a sugar source nearby to get instant relief in such situations.
- Immediately inform your doctor if you experience any sort of rapid breathing, recurring or long lasting nausea, vomiting, and persistent stomach pain after taking this medication. It happens because the medicine can potentially cause a rare but serious condition known as lactic acidosis.
- Taking this medication for a long period of time may cause vitamin B12 deficiency which can appear with symptoms like anemia, fatigue, pale skin, breathlessness, or headache. You are advised to see a doctor immediately if you experience any of the above discussed symptoms. Your doctor may prescribe you some supplements to overcome this deficiency.
- When your doctor prescribes you this medication, he.she may have to keep a check on your blood sugar levels and kidney functions to ensure you do not develop any complications.
Also read: How does insulin work in the human body
Is this drug safe to use?
This medication is safe to use if you are not allergic to Metformin. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding must consult the doctor before taking this drug. To avoid severe reactions, it is advised to consult the doctor before taking other drugs.
Is Gluformin banned in India?
This drug is not banned in India but a valid prescription is required to buy this drug.
How to take Gluformin?
You are advised to take Gluformin along with a meal or right after it. You are not supposed to consume this medication by chewing or crushing it. You should only swallow it with a glass of water. If you have been advised to take a single dose of this medication in a day, you should try to take it in the morning with breakfast. If you have been prescribed two doses a day, you should take the first one along with breakfast in the morning and the second along with dinner at night. In case of three doses a day, you can add one dose along with lunch, apart from breakfast and dinner. Taking this medication with meals helps you in eliminating the chances of digestive issues like indigestion, vomiting, stomach ache, loss of appetite, nausea and diarrhea.
Can Gluformin make you sleepy?
Generally, Gluformin does not lead to sleepiness and is well absorbed. The medication, however, can sometimes lead to sleep disorders and insomnia. You may experience sleepiness as a side effect of a very serious disorder called lactic acidosis, which particularly happens when your kidneys are not functioning as they are supposed to be working. You are advised to see a doctor immediately if you experience sleepiness while being on this medication.
What are the benefits of taking Gluformin?
Gluformin is one of the most popular diabetes medications that doctors prescribe to control the blood sugar levels of the patient. It enables the body to respond better to insulin that is produced by the pancreas. It also decreases the amount of sugar produced by your liver while decreasing the amount of glucose absorbed by the intestines. Unlike the other oral antidiabetic medications, Gluformin when administered alone does not usually cause low blood sugar levels as it prevents the pancreas from producing more insulin. Apart from benefiting in keeping the blood glucose levels under control, this medication also helps in inducing weight loss.
Does Gluformin cause weight loss?
Yes, Gluformin induces weight loss in diabetes patients who are overweight or suffer from obesity. It can also possibly help in weight loss in those overweight and obese people who are susceptible to diabetes. Moreover, people who are resistant or sensitive to insulin may also experience weight loss while taking this medication. You are not advised to start taking this medication on your own for weight loss. You are suggested to see a doctor first before taking this medication.
What does Gluformin Tablet do exactly?
People suffering from type 2 diabetes either do not produce enough insulin in the body or their bodies stop responding properly to the insulin produced inside the body. Whenever it happens, the sugar/glucose levels start increasing in the bloodstream. Gluformin helps the patients in many ways to bring down the increased levels of blood sugar. The medication reduces glucose production by the liver and also decreases the absorption of glucose from the intestine after consuming food. At the same time, it also improves the muscle and organ sensitivity towards insulin. This also decreases the amount of glucose in the bloodstream. It ensures your body responds better to insulin.
Last Updated on by Dr. Damanjit Duggal
The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.