Last updated on July 18th, 2023
The doctor prescribes Janumet for the elderly suffering from skeletal muscle dysfunction to control their blood sugar levels. Janumet 50 mg/500 mg Tablet is a combination of two medications: Sitagliptin 50 mg and Metformin Hydrochloride. The chances of side effects like weight gain and low blood sugar levels are lesser with Janumet than other diabetes medications. You can get effective results in controlling blood sugar levels with Janumet by following a healthy diet and regular exercise. Read about Janumet 50 mg/500 mg Tablet uses, side effects and dosage.
Risk of developing diabetes type-2 increases with your increasing age. It can cause senile skeletal muscle dysfunction. Muscle skeletal ageing leads to the modification in the activity of insulin sensitivity regulatory enzymes and causes diabetes type-2. Therefore, the development of diabetes type-2 in the elderly is closely related to skeletal muscle dysfunction. Well, some therapies give relief from pain due to skeletal muscle dysfunction and medications for controlling diabetes.
Skeletal Muscle Insulin Resistance in People With Diabetes Type-2
The development of diabetes type-2 is directly related to insulin resistance in your body. The skeletal muscle is an important site of glucose uptake after taking meals in humans. Under an insulin resistance test, approximately 80% of glucose uptake occurs in skeletal muscle. Insulin is also a potent inhibitor of protein degradation in skeletal muscle. Therefore, despite insulin resistance to diabetes, type-2 patients do not see significant changes in their body mass. However, their muscle performance is no longer the same as it degrades.
Medications for Controlling Diabetes Type-2
These days, diabetes medications from various brands are available in the market. One of the most trending diabetes type-2 medications is Janumet. It helps control blood sugar levels in elderly patients with diabetes type-2. Janumet 50 mg/500 mg Tablet is a combination drug prescribed with proper diet and exercise to control high blood sugar levels. It also prevents the development of critical complications of diabetes type-2 such as kidney problems, blindness, and the risk of a heart attack.
About Janumet 50 mg /500 mg Tablet
Janumet is a combination of two diabetes medications: Metformin and Sitagliptin. They work together in different ways to lower your blood sugar levels. Metformin helps in restoring your body’s response to the insulin that it produces naturally. It decreases the amount of glucose production in your liver. It also limits the amount of glucose that your intestines absorb. On the other hand, the drug Sitagliptin increases the levels of incretins to regulate the insulin levels in your body. Thereby, it controls blood sugar levels.
Three important factors to reduce blood glucose:
- Help your pancreas produce more amount of insulin.
- It help your body to more efficiently make use of the insulin that the pancreas manufactures.
- Help reduce the quantity of glucose that your liver manufactures.
- Janumet can be used as an add-on to diet and exercise in order to improve glycaemic control in patients ineffectively controlled on their recommended dose of metformin alone or patients who already have been treated using sitagliptin and metformin.
- It can be used as a triple combination therapy with a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma (PPARγ) agonist (i.e., a thiazolidinedione) as an adjunct to diet as well as exercise in patients incompetently controlled on their recommended dosage of metformin and a PPARγ agonist.
- Janumet can also be used in combination with a sulphonylurea (i.e., triple combination therapy) as an adjunct to diet as well as exercise in patients incompetently controlled on their recommended dose of metformin and a sulphonylurea.
- It is also indicated as an adjunct to insulin (i.e., triple combination therapy) as an adjunct to diet as well as exercise to make better the glycaemic control in patients when stable insulin doses and metformin doses alone fail to deliver a sufficient amount of glycaemic control.
How Janumet Works?
Janumet tablet is a combination of two antidiabetic drugs namely, Sitagliptin and Metformin. Sitagliptin falls under the category of drugs called dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitors that are found to act by increasing the amounts of natural substances to reduce the blood glucose when it is high. Another drug, Metformin falls under the category of drugs called biguanides which reduce the production of sugar in the liver, delays sugar absorption from intestines and enhances the body’s sensitivity to insulin. Both the medicines help in insulin production by the pancreas, also promotes effective use of insulin by the body, as well as lower down excess glucose that the liver manufactures. In combination, both the medicines offer an improved control of blood glucose.
Janumet 50 mg/500 mg Tablet Composition
The active ingredients of Janumet are Metformin and Sitagliptin. They play a major role in maintaining the blood glucose levels in a person. The other inactive ingredients of Janumet 50 mg/500 mg Tablet are microcrystalline cellulose, sodium lauryl sulfate, polyvinylpyrrolidone, and sodium stearyl fumarate. The film coating of Janumet tablets contains inactive ingredients like polyvinyl alcohol, talc, polyethene glycol, red iron oxide, titanium dioxide, and black iron oxide.
Reasons to take Janumet to Manage Blood Sugar Levels
The reasons for taking Janumet 50 mg/500 mg Tablet over the other pills for blood glucose control are:
- It combines the effects of two medications in one pill.
- On average, Janumet helps lower A1C levels up to 2.5%.
- It is available in immediate-release and extended-release forms. Therefore, it allows better control of your blood glucose levels.
- It reduces the risk of hypoglycemia that may occur with other diabetes medications.
- Janumet is a good option for diabetes control for those who do not want to take insulin injections.
- Patients need to take one tablet with a meal once a day, unlike the other diabetes medications that patients have to take twice a day.
Difference Between Janumet and Janumet XR
Janumet and Janumet XR are the prescription medicines to control blood glucose levels in diabetes type-2 patients. Janumet is the immediate-release metformin HCl. It is the first-line treatment for diabetes type-2. Janumet shows effective results when you combine it with the correct diet and an exercise routine. The doctor often recommends taking Janumet two times a day with meals. Janumet-XR is an extended-release tablet that contains Sitagliptin and extended-release Metformin. Its effects last longer than Janumet. The doctor recommends taking this medicine once a day.
Also Read: Side Effects of Metformin
Details About the Dosage of Janumet 50 mg/500 mg Tablet
People with or without skeletal muscle dysfunction taking Janumet should take care of the dosage. Taking this medication without a prescription or in the wrong dosage can lead to side effects. Therefore, it can make your health condition worse. Do not increase or decrease the dosage without consulting with your doctor. Take the same dose of Janumet as your doctor prescribes. If your doctor feels then he/she may increase or decrease your dosage. However, it depends upon your health.
The doctor recommends dosage to individuals based on the patient’s current regimen, tolerability, and blood sugar levels. The maximum daily dosage is 100 mg of Sitagliptin and 2000 mg of Metformin HCl. The starting dose for the patients, who are not taking Sitagliptin or Metformin, is 50 mg Sitagliptin and 500 mg Metformin.
- Dosage for the elderly: The dosage gradually may increase depending upon your body’s requirement. Elderly patients have a higher risk of metformin-associated lactic acidosis, so the correct dosage is vital for them. Patients who are already taking Metformin immediate-release tablets of 850 mg or 1000 mg twice a day should start Janumet after consultation. Probably, the doctor recommends them to begin with Janumet having two 50 mg Sitagliptin/1000 mg metformin extended-release tablets once a day.
- Overdosing can be fatal: If someone has taken the overdose of this medication, he/she may develop symptoms like passing out, breathing difficulty, severe drowsiness, irregular heartbeat, etc. In such a case, you should immediately call a doctor for help; otherwise, it can be fatal for the patient. If you miss the dose, take it as soon as you remember. Do not take more than one dose at a time or in close time.
Take Janumet 50 500 Mg Medicine Correctly
It is essential to take the Janumet tablet precisely as your doctor prescribes. Your doctor will prescribe you the correct dosage according to your blood sugar levels and health conditions. Your doctor will also tell you what other medicines you can take along with Janumet. Take Janumet with the meals. It will prevent stomach upset. Avoid cutting or breaking Janumet. You need to swallow it as a whole. Also, do not take two or more doses of Janumet together. It will suddenly lower your blood glucose levels and deters your health.
Also Read: Indian Diet For Diabetes
Interaction of Janumet 50 mg/500 mg Tablet with Other Drugs
Drug interaction is common with Metformin hence with Janumet. Drug interaction will not give you the expected results of Janumet in lowering your blood sugar levels. In some case, it may cause subsequent side effects as well. Hence, it is important to discuss with your doctor, about the drugs you are taking and the allergies that you have to avoid drug interaction of Janumet 50 mg/500 mg Tablet.
Many drugs are there that easily interact with Metformin and Sitagliptin. Therefore, the same medicines will interact with Janumet also. Some of those drugs affect the effectiveness of Janumet to control blood glucose levels, while others may increase the risk of lactic acidosis. It is significant to tell your doctor about the medicines you are already taking before starting Janumet. Some of the drugs that easily interact with Janumet 50 mg/500 mg Tablet include:
- Anti-seizure medications like topiramate, zonisamide, and acetazolamide.
- Antacid drugs like cimetidine
- Anti-viral medicines for HIV or AIDS
- Antipsychotic drugs like chlorpromazine, thioridazine, and prochlorperazine.
- Corticosteroid medications
- Heart or blood pressure drugs
- Estrogen-containing medications such as birth control pills and hormone replacement.
There are many more medications that can interact with Janumet. Hence, you have to inform your doctor about medicines for senile skeletal muscle dysfunction that you are taking. It will prevent Janumet interactions and gives effective results.
Side effects of Janumet 50 mg/500 mg Tablet
To avoid the side effects of Janumet 50 mg/500 mg Tablet to the maximum extent, do not start taking it without a prescription. Take it only when your doctor prescribes it to you. Make sure to inform your doctor about your pre-existing health conditions and the medications you are taking. You should also get your blood sugar test reports with you while visiting a doctor. Also, if you notice any trouble with your health after starting Janumet, immediately consult with your doctor.
Janumet side effects are not significant on your health. Some people may notice the side effects, but their symptoms go away as their body adjusts to the medicine. However, if the symptoms pertain for a longer time or it is a matter of worry, immediately consult your doctor. Some of the possible side effects of Janumet tablets are:
- Respiratory tract infection
- Upset stomach
- Nasal congestion
- Sore throat
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) in combination with insulin or sulphonylurea
You should immediately get emergency medical help if:
- You have any sign of allergic reaction to Janumet. Symptoms of allergic reaction to Janumet are breathing difficulty, hives, swelling in your face or throat.
- You have a severe skin reaction. The symptoms include sore throat, fever, burning sensation in your eyes, or red or purple skin rash that spreads and causes blistering.
- You have pancreatitis. Its symptoms include severe pain in your upper stomach that may spread to your back, loss of appetite, nausea, and vomiting, or fast heartbeats.
Also Read: Can Quitting Smoking Reverses Diabetes?
Limit Alcohol Use When Taking Janumet 50 mg /500 mg Tablet
When a doctor prescribes Janumet 50 mg Tablet to patients having skeletal muscle dysfunction, they should limit alcohol use. It increases the risk of lactic acidosis in the elderly and develops low blood sugar levels. Lactic acidosis is a critical metabolic complication as it can result in hypotension, hypothermia, or death of the patient. People who are 65 years old or more and have renal impairment are at a higher risk of developing lactic acidosis, so they should strictly avoid alcohol.
Also Read: HbA1c Test For Diabetes
Storage Instructions for Janumet
Store Janumet at room temperature, between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C). Keep Janumet away from heat, moisture, and direct sunlight. Do not freeze Janumet and keep it away from the reach of children. Do not eat any tablet if you notice torn packing or there is moisture in the tablet. Please Do not share your Janumet 50 mg Tablet with someone else having diabetes type-2. If you are travelling with Janumet, keep the tablets in their original packing. Properly dispose of the Janumet upon the expiration date.
Also Read: Galvus Met Tablet For High Blood Sugar
When should I consume this tablet?
Janumet tablet works best when it is used in combination with a healthy diet and regular exercise. The dose of Janumet depends on your condition, glucose levels, and other drugs you are taking. Consuming Janumet with meals aids to lower down the probabilities of gastric problems like an upset stomach.
Can I take Janumet and Metformin in combination?
If you are using two Janumet XR tablets (50 mg sitagliptin/500 mg metformin HCl), then you must consume the two tablets together once per day as per your prescription.
What are the other anti-diabetics comparable to Janumet?
Medications belonging to the sulfonylureas class, such as Glipizide, Glyburide, and Glimepiride act to help your body produce more insulin. These are used commonly as anti-diabetic medicines. All of these are available in the form of tablets, just like Janumet.
Can I stop consuming Janumet tablets?
Avoid stopping this medication without discussing it with the concerned doctor. It is a must to talk to the doctor about when to stop Janumet and when to start taking the tablet again.
How long will I take to get used to Janumet 50 mg/ 500 mg?
Based on its dose, Janumet begins to show its action within 4 to 5 days, but the complete effects of improving your A1c levels can be seen in few weeks.
How can I prevent Janumet related Vitamin B-12 deficiency?
The use of Janumet 50 mg/500 mg tablets can indeed lead to Vitamin B-12 deficiency. It happens when you take Janumet for the long term. Janumet interferes with the absorption of Vitamin B-12 in your stomach. It can cause anemia in the person in addition to nerves problems. Some doctors suggest the patients taking Janumet tablets to take Vitamin B-12 from outside sources after consultation.
What is the price of Janumet 50 mg/500 mg Tablet? Is it available online?
Janumet is now easily available in all medical stores and online pharmacies. You should have a doctor’s prescription to buy this medication. At netmeds.com, Janumet 50mg/ 500 mg tablets are available at around Rs. 300 for a strip of 15 tablets. You can check and compare the prices of different online pharmacies to get Janumet tablets at cheap rates.
How does Janumet XR work?
Janumet XR is the combination of Sitagliptin and extended-release metformin. It mainly targets your blood sugar levels in two ways. In one way, it helps your pancreas to produce more insulin. Second, it helps your body to more effectively use the produced insulin. Therefore, it is more capable of lowering your blood sugar levels in low doses only. Patients need to take one tablet of Janumet XR one time a day.
Is Janumet more effective than metformin for diabetes?
Yes. Janumet is more effective than metformin alone in reducing your blood sugar levels. It is a powerful prescription medicine for people with diabetes type-2. Janumet for diabetes is a combination medicine of Metformin and Sitagliptin. Therefore, it works more effectively in controlling blood sugar levels. Metformin helps in improving insulin sensitivity, whereas Sitagliptin promotes insulin production.
What are the specific conditions when you can take Janumet 500 mg?
Patients who have the known allergies to any of the ingredients of this medication should avoid taking Janumet. Patients having kidney ailments, liver problems, heart diseases, lactic acidosis, or diabetic ketoacidosis should avoid Janumet. You need to consult a doctor before starting Janumet to control your blood sugar levels.
Last Updated on by Dr. Damanjit Duggal
The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.