Diabetes medications like Janumet have become the simple means for sugar patients to keep their diabetes in control. They need to follow the instructions for dosage according to their health condition and take the medicines at the right time. It helps them to maintain healthy blood sugar levels. Janumet is a drug that contains Metformin and Sitaglipatin as the active ingredients. Therefore, the patients taking Metformin alone do not have to take two medications for managing their blood sugar levels. There are few contraindications as well but, taking precautions can help in subsiding the side effects of Janumet XR. Read this blog to know about Janumet XR uses, side effects, dosage, interaction with price.
Managing diabetes has become easier with diabetes medications. Such medicines provide a better solution in controlling diabetes and preventing diabetes-related health complications. Janumet is one such anti-diabetes medicine that doctors are prescribing these days to their diabetes patients. Janumet is a combination of two anti-hyperglycemic agents, Metformin and Sitaglipatin. They have complementary mechanisms of action to improve glycemic control.
Description of the Drug: Janumet XR
Metformin and Sitaglipatin are the two active ingredients of Janumet XR. They work together to give better results for controlling blood sugar levels. Janumet is more effective than Metformin alone in controlling blood sugar levels. Hence, doctors prescribe Janumet to diabetes type-2 patients.
Janumet XR is a combination of Metformin and Sitaglipatin. It is an oral prescription medicine to control blood sugar levels in adults with diabetes type-2. The two anti-hyperglycemic agents of Janumet work in a complementary manner to manage blood sugar levels.
- Working action of Metformin: Metformin belongs to the class of biguanides of drugs. It decreases glucose production in the liver and absorption of glucose by the intestines. It increases the sensitivity of the liver, muscle, fat, and other tissues to the effects of insulin. The improved insulin sensitivity helps in removing more glucose from the blood.
- Working action of Sitaglipatin: Sitaglipatin is a DPP-4 inhibitor. It helps in regulating the insulin levels that your body produces after eating. Janumet is not for people with diabetes type-1.
Difference Between Janumet and Janumet XR
Janumet tablet contains Metformin and, Janumet XR has Metformin extended-release medicine apart from Sitaglipatin in both of them. They both are the prescription medicine that helps in reducing the blood glucose levels. The doctor prescribes Janumet twice a day while Janumet XR once a day. Therefore, depending upon your need to control the blood sugar levels, the doctors may prescribe Janumet or Janumet XR.
Dosage of Janumet XR
The dosage instructions vary from one person to another. Therefore, the patients should not take the prescription dosage of other patients. They need to consult with a doctor for the dosage instruction of Janumet prescription.
The starting dose of Janumet XR for the patients taking immediate-release Metformin 850 mg or 1000 mg twice a day is two 50 mg Sitagliptin/1000 mg metformin HCl extended-release tablets once daily. The patients have to take two Janumet XR tablets together and at the same time of a day each time. It helps them to get better results in managing their blood glucose levels. The doctor prescribes you the correct dosage and lets you know the best time of the day to take this medicine.
Side effects of Janumet XR
Most of the drugs have side effects. Janumet also has some side effects ranging from mild to serious ones. Mild side effects are common in diabetes patients taking medications to control blood sugar levels. They usually get fade off without medicines. However, some severe side effects can drastically affect health. Thyroid cancer, Pancreatitis, Lactic Acidosis, and Low blood sugar levels are the severe side effects of Janumet but, they occur in rare cases.
Janumet can cause some mild side effects in diabetes patients. However, such side effects fade away without troubling much. Sometimes, the patients do not even need the medications to eliminate the mild side effects. Janumet with some other antidiabetic agents like Insulin or sulfonylurea may give you the side effects. The common side effects include:
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Upper lung infection
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach upset
- General weakness
Some diabetes patients may experience the severe side effects of Janumet. These side effects are the result of drug interaction or inappropriate use of Janumet.
The severe side effects of Janumet include:
- Thyroid Cancer: According to a review of the FDA, Sitaglipatin of Janumet can cause thyroid cancer. Though it is still unclear if Janumet is responsible for causing thyroid cancer, the patients should be aware of the thyroid cancer symptoms. If they notice any of the symptoms while taking Janumet, they need to consult a doctor immediately. Difficulty in swallowing and breathing, swollen lymph nodes, throat pain, and the lump on the throat are some of the symptoms of thyroid cancer.
- Pancreatitis: It is a disease that causes inflammation of the pancreas that secretes insulin in your body. According to the research, some diabetes medications like Sitaglipatin can cause Pancreatitis. The pancreas releases powerful digestive enzymes into the small intestines to digest the food. If those enzymes begin to work before the pancreas releases them, they can damage your pancreas. The three types of pancreatitis are Acute Pancreatitis, Hemorrhagic Pancreatitis, and Necrotizing Pancreatitis.
- Lactic Acidosis: Gluconeogenesis is making glucose from its breakdown products or the breakdown product of fats or proteins in the body. Lactic Acidosis occurs due to inhibition of gluconeogenesis by blocking pyruvate carboxylase (an enzyme). The blockage of carboxylase results in the formation of lactic acid in the body and causes lactic acidosis. It is a rare but fatal side effect of Metformin.
- Low Blood Sugar: When you take Janumet the Metformin and Sitaglipatin, work together in bringing down your blood sugar levels. Sometimes, the patients taking Janumet do not realize and, their blood sugar levels drop significantly. It can cause hypoglycemia. It can be fatal for a person. Therefore, diabetes patients should keep monitoring their blood sugar levels after starting Janumet to prevent low blood sugar levels.
Drug Interaction with Janumet XR
Many drugs can affect the effectiveness of Janumet. If you are taking any medications, inform your doctor before starting Janumet. Drug interaction makes Janumet less effective and increases the risk of developing Lactic Acidosis in the patients. More than hundreds of drugs are there that can interact with Janumet. Some of the drugs that may interact with Janumet are prescription and over-the-counter medicines. Vitamins and herbal products may also interact with Janumet to give the side effects.
Things to Know Before Starting Janumet XR
Taking medicine without a prescription or instructions from a doctor does not give you positive results on your body. Despite this, it may cause some side effects or interaction with the other medicines that you are taking. Therefore, inform your doctor about your medical history and the existing medical conditions before starting Janumet. Patients taking Janumet should also avoid alcohol as it can lower their blood sugar levels.
Few things are critical to know before you start Janumet. It will help in eliminating the risks of side effects of Janumet and gives you better glycemic control.
- Tell your doctor about your medical history. If you have or ever had liver disease, kidney disease, pancreatitis, and high levels of triglycerides. Diabetes patients may develop Lactic Acidosis on taking Janumet in such cases. If you have or ever had the mentioned diseases, your doctor will subsequently prescribe other medicine to avoid the side effect.
- You may need to temporarily stop taking Janumet if you need to undergo any surgery, X-ray, or CT scan using a dye injection into your vein. It can also affect the working of Janumet on your body and prevent you from getting the expected results.
- Taking a moderate amount of alcohol increases your blood sugar levels. However, an excessive amount of alcohol lowers the blood sugar level. Sometimes, it may drop to dangerous levels especially, in diabetes type-1 patients. Therefore, when diabetes patients taking Janumet consume an excessive amount of alcohol, they may experience hypoglycemia.
- Monitor your blood sugar levels right before you start Janumet for diabetes management. It helps you to know how your body is responding to Janumet in managing blood sugar levels. Sometimes, the patients may not see a drop in their blood sugar levels even after taking diabetes medicine. In such cases, patients should consult with the doctor to find out the potential reasons for the ineffectiveness of diabetes medications.
Effect of Janumet XR on Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Discuss with your doctor before starting Janumet to control gestational diabetes. Janumet may help in glycemic control during your pregnancy but, it can lead to complications for you and your unborn baby.
Some points for the pregnant and breastfeeding women before taking Janumet or Janumet XR are:
- Gestational diabetes can affect the pregnant woman and her baby in the womb. Therefore, women have to control their blood sugar levels during pregnancy. Women should follow the doctor’s instructions before taking any diabetes medication like Janumet. Some of the diabetes medicines are not suitable during pregnancy as they can cause side effects.
- Metformin in Janumet may stimulate ovulation in a premenopausal woman. Therefore, it may increase the risk of unwanted pregnancy in women close to their menopause. Before starting Janumet, consult with your doctor about this kind of risk.
- Though it is not clear, Metformin may pass through the breast milk and reaches the baby. Hence, it may result in hypoglycemia in the baby. Low levels of blood sugar can be fatal for the baby because sometimes you may get late to diagnose the low blood sugar levels in the babies.
Diabetes Medication is not a Substitute for Insulin
Diabetes medications are generally not helpful in treating diabetes type-1. Diabetes medicine like Janumet increases insulin sensitivity and promotes the production of insulin in your body. In the advanced stage of type-2 diabetes, the pancreas is unable to produce enough insulin. In such a case, the doctor may prescribe the daily dosage of insulin injection for managing blood glucose levels. Medication does not work if your body is not producing insulin at all. Therefore, if you are on Insulin to control your blood sugar levels, discuss with your doctor before stopping or reducing the dosage of Janumet.
Also read: Blood sugar level conversion chart
Do I have to rely on diabetes medications for a lifetime?
Diabetes is a lifelong disease. However, if you can maintain healthy blood glucose levels, you will live a long and healthy life. Many patients can control their blood glucose levels with modifications in their lifestyle and eating habits. A lot of diabetes patients rely on diabetes medications along with changes in lifestyle and eating habits. Diabetes medicine like Janumet is an effective medicine to control your diabetes. Discuss with a doctor if you want to stop it.
What should I eat to maintain healthy blood sugar levels?
Taking Janumet alone does not control your blood sugar levels. You need to maintain healthy eating habits as well to have better control of your blood sugar levels. Diabetes patients should eat low carbohydrates and high fiber-rich foods. It prevents them from consuming high calories that can increase blood glucose levels. It also reduces the rate of absorption of glucose in the body. Therefore, overall such food items help in balancing their blood sugar levels in the body.
Is Janumet XR good for diabetes patients with Kidney problems?
Janumet and Janumet XR is strictly not for diabetes patients with Kidney problems. If diabetes patients have severe kidney problems or diabetic ketoacidosis, tell your doctor. The doctor will not prescribe you Janumet/Janumet XR. It can cause Lactic Acidosis. It is a critical health condition that can occur in kidney patients taking Janumet.
How can I take Janumet XR?
Janumet XR is a prescription medicine; hence consult your doctor before starting it. The doctor may prescribe the dosage of this medicine according to the health condition and blood sugar levels of the patient. Preferably, the patients should take Janumet XR tablet one time a day with a meal. It helps in reducing the chances of stomach upset. The most preferred time to take the Janumet XR tablet is with the evening meal.
What does Janumet XR do?
Janumet XR is an oral antidiabetes medicine that helps treat high blood glucose levels. It is a combination medicine of Metformin and Sitaglipatin. These two ingredients of Janumet XR work together but differently to control high blood glucose levels. It is a prescription medicine for diabetes type-2 patients. This medicine works better in adjunct with diet and exercise for improving the glycemic levels.
Last Updated on by Dr. Damanjit Duggal
The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.