Who doesn’t want to live longer? While it’s easy to wish for a lengthy life span, you need to take some concrete steps to make it a reality. Here are a few habits that will help you along the way.
- Eat less: Multiple studies performed on animals discovered that a 10–50% decrease in regular calorie intake may help enhance maximum lifespan.
- Don’t smoke: Those who smoke are at risk of losing up to 10 years from their lifespan, and they are likely to die prematurely too.
- Be active: According to a recent study, being active and moving about for 30 minutes daily may cut down the risk of premature death by 17%.
- Follow the right diet: Research favours the Mediterranean diet that contains mainly fruits, veggies, nuts, whole grains and healthy fats for long life.
- Maintain the ideal weight: Obesity is linked to life-shortening conditions like heart disease, Type 2 diabetes and cancer.
- Limit your drinks: Excessive drinking can cause a wide range of fatal issues, from liver failure to traffic accidents.
- Sleep well: At least six hours of sleep each night helps regulate and heal body cells, adding more years to your life.
- Discipline yourself: A study that tracked over a thousand boys and girls found that those who were organized, persistent and disciplined outlived their counterparts by 11% longer.
- Be happy: According to studies, happy people may end up living 18% longer compared to their counterparts. And before you say anything, let’s get this straight – happiness is a choice, choose it!
- Be social: No man can live as an island. Social connections may help curb depression and even help you get more exercise and increase the overall quality of your life.
Now that you know the secret to live for 100 years, go ahead and start cultivating these healthy habits today!