Doing everything in your capacity, but not shedding any weight? Well, slow metabolism could be playing the villain in your weight loss program. Metabolism is the process by which food is used as energy by the body. So, people with a faster rate of metabolism can eat more and will be more unlikely to put on weight as compared to the ones with slow metabolism. Several factors can affect your metabolism such as age, gender, body size and composition. Your body could be showing signs of having a slow metabolism. Some of them are listed below.
- Perpetual fatigue – It is one of the most apparent signs of a slow metabolism. If you find yourself constantly tired, it is probably because your body is burning all the energy at a very slow pace.
- Hair loss – A slow metabolism keeps the body from absorbing sufficient macronutrients from the food you consume. As a result, it can cause thinning of hairline and impact the hair’s regenerative ability.
- Facing difficulties losing weight – As discussed above, no matter how much you exercise and how you try to follow a healthy diet, it is difficult for you to lose weight. Losing weight is about how many calories you take and how many you burn. If exercising is not helping, maybe you could try makes changes in your diet.
- Cellulite depositions – Cellulite on the hips and on the back of the thighs is just natural. But if you wake up to discover cellulite on the front of your thighs it could mean that your metabolism is being very unsupportive of your intentions to get thinner.
- Sugar cravings – Slow metabolism can cause an imbalance in blood sugar levels which in turn will signal your brain to consume instant energy i.e. sugar. And to worsen the problem, eating more sugar and refined carbs will only make it more difficult for your body to break them down.
Here are some ways how you can speedup metabolism?
- Increase your protein intake
- Opt for strength training as muscle burns more calorie than fat
- Drink beverages that boost your metabolism such as green tea and black coffee
- And finally, drink lots of water