At times, we may wonder how long our stay on this earth will continue, or how strong our heart is, to beat for a long span. These are a few questions that often rule our minds. Our heart is the most vital part of the body as this four-chambered pumping machine controls the entire circulatory mechanism of the body, and without which human life wouldn’t be possible.
Just as Christianity follows the 10 commandments of the bible, here we share with you the 10 commandments for a healthy heart.
- STOP Smoking – no ifs, ands, or butts.
- Avoid Obesity – according to the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, carrying too much weight around the middle raises blood pressure, affects blood lipids (not in a good way), and does other damage to the heart.
- Move your Body – getting your body moving and dancing raises your heart rate, burns some calories and makes for a great heart-healthy workout.
- Yoga – Practicing yoga makes you more limber and helps you relax, combatting stress
- Have a chocolatey day – Yes indeed – rich, dark chocolate not only tastes delicious, but the flavonoids it contains can help stave off heart disease according to latest research.
- Proper breakfast – The first meal of the day is one you shouldn’t skip. There is an abundance of good-for-you benefits to eating a healthy breakfast.
- Smile please! – Good dental hygiene is very important as several types of cardiovascular disease, may be connected to oral health.
- Cut down on Salt – to maintain a healthy blood pressure.
- Less Alcohol – Binge drinking is a no-no, especially in old age.
- Eat Fish – Add fish to your diet, at least twice a week, including a portion of oily fish. Fish such as mackerel, sardines, fresh tuna and salmon are a source of omega-3 fats, which can help protect against heart disease.
Follow these 10 commandments to live a healthy, happy life and maintain an active, fit lifestyle.
Image courtesy: FreeDigitalPhotos.net (digitalart)