Way before Wonder Woman came into existence, we all had witnessed hundreds of those around us in action. ‘Mothers’ – They are strong, beautiful and wonderful women who raised us, and who we aspire to be. Being a mother, without a shadow of doubt, is the most difficult job in the world. And if you’re one, kudos to you! Although, we’re a bit late, here’s wishing you a Happy Mother’s Day!
And while we’re celebrating motherhood across the world, what better time than now to talk about, often neglected but one of the most important areas of your life, your fitness.
If you are a working mom, you have most likely alienated yourself from the concept of fitness by now. We know that juggling between work, home and kids, is quite a task already, more so, if your kid is a toddler. But, it’s time you made your health and fitness a priority. Don’t know how? Here are some tips and tricks…to help you with that.
- DO NOT SKIP BREAKFAST – We know that you are in-charge of getting everyone ready including yourself and ensuring everybody leaves the house on time. But do not let the hustle cause you to skip the most important meal of the day. Have a heavy vitamin, calcium and protein-rich breakfast, before you’re ready to face the day at work.
- WORK OUT, NO EXCUSES – The best time for you to work out is early morning before your kids wake up. But feel free to change this according to your convenience. The point is not when you do it, but that you do it. Without any excuses. You can also plan for longer workout sessions on weekends. And while at work, allow yourself 10-15 minute long breaks every three hours—to walk, stretch and do a few leg exercises.
- INVOLVE YOUR KIDS IN YOUR WORKOUTS – Workouts don’t always have to happen in gyms. All kinds of exercises are great for your body. When playing with your kids, pick games that make you move, such as racing, crawling, bunny-hopping or frog-jumping. Or alternatively, you can turn on a dance video and have some fun with your little one while you both groove to the music. Also, investing in a jogging stroller might be a great idea to burn those calories, while your kid enjoys the adventurous fast ride!
- WATCH YOUR DIET – We know you’re stress eating, and you barely have the time to prepare fresh meals. But, do not give in to stress. Replace unhealthy snacks with fresh fruits and vegetables, soda with yogurt, coffee with green tea, and your body will reward you within a matter of a few days.
- SUPPORT GROUP – You’re not alone. There are other mothers who are struggling to strike a balance between personal and professional life, who want to stay fit and healthy too. Find them and join the clan. It will provide you with the emotional support you need. Plus, you can share your progress and help them keep tabs on theirs as well.
- WORK OUT A SCHEDULE – Plan your week in advance. That will leave you with more time to exercise and make room for adjustments for days when things don’t go according to the plan. Some days, you may be excessively tired, or your kid might be sick. Don’t beat yourself up for missing your routine. You’re doing your best.
- STAY MOTIVATED – Remind yourself of what compelled you to focus on your health and fitness in the first place. Every time you feel demotivated, tell yourself why you’re doing this. If you quit halfway, all that enthusiasm and hard work will go to waste.
You are the heartbeat of the family. In order to ensure their well-being, you need to start prioritizing yours first. Stay fit, healthy and beautiful!