You may wonder—why should I exercise in the outdoors in the winters? Can’t I stay indoors and work out in the gym instead? Well, you can. But, exercising outside can have some benefits:
- It gives you the dose of vitamin D you need from the sun which you may be otherwise deprived of.
- It can help you burn more calories.
- And then, there’s the freshness in the damp winter air and beauty all around that makes you feel fresh and alive too. You don’t want to miss that!
However, please note that if you are someone who has problems such as asthma, heart problems, joint pains or other conditions that tend to aggravate in the winters, we advise you to consult your doctor about whether or not it is advisable for you to work out in the outdoors.
Now, let’s see how you can beat the challenges of outdoor winter workouts.
- Your clothes should be made of a synthetic fabric, over which you can wear a comfortably fitting woollen or fleece clothing for insulation from the cold.
- Do not overdress, as it could lead to excessive sweating and overheating.
- Wear a face mask to protect your facial skin and a headband to cover your ears.
- Don’t wear thin cotton clothing that absorb the sweat from your body.
- If you’re wearing fleece/woollen gloves and socks, we suggest you also wear underneath them, synthetic gloves and socks with moisture-wicking ability.
- Do not wear tight shoes. Wear shoes that are a size or a half bigger than your original size. Tight shoes can hinder flow of blood in toes and feet.
- Make sure your shoes have good grip to maintain balance and prevent falls.
- Apply sunscreen with SPF 30.
- If the sunlight is too bright, wrap around glasses can work well to prevent glare.
- Apply a lip balm to avoid dried, chapped lips which also leads to discomfort during the work out.
- Keep your hands out of your pockets to ensure balance while you exercise.
- Do not skip the warm up. Walk or run for 5 minutes or more, to warm up your muscles.
- Drink water before and after your workout routine to avoid dehydration, which tends to be a major winter problem.
Now, you’re all set to step out of the house and indulge in the beauty of the nature, while you also take care of your own body.